XII: Coming to Terms

Deafening silence fell over the room, a layer of tenseness befalling the atmosphere. All those who found themselves roped into the suddenness of the situation seemed to grow fearful of the brewing storm. I heard the scuttling of feet as a nurse ran away from the scene upon hearing my voice. In the moment, I couldn't care less if I terrified those around me, or if I made a commotion. 

How could I focus on that?

While they were busy rescuing Eri, I was knocked out in a room next to her cell. Had the heroes not tried to look in other rooms to find the girl? Had they been so preoccupied with saving her that they couldn't even assign some minor task forces to go looking for me? 

I scoffed as this thought led me to another realization.

Forget about sending policemen -- they hadn't even come to the base looking for me, despite knowing that the League was affiliated with the Shie Hassaikai. It was only a coincidence that they happened to stumble across me after the fight, when searching the rooms. If they hadn't scoured the place, I would still be there. 

And what ridiculous notions I had thought of during my rescue.

People had come for me.

The idea that echoed through my mind at the time now filled my head with a vile sound. I clenched my jaw and bit the inside of my cheek so hard it drew blood. The metallic taste spread across my tongue, coating it with the lacquers of the realist, of the one that has been exposed to the undying and unforgiving truth. 

What a joke.

I'd perceived everything wrong. I should've known it sooner that my hope was baseless and false.

Nobody shouted my name when they busted down the door. Nobody came looking for me during the fight. Nobody's purpose being there was to find me.

They'd come for Eri. 

Because she was this precious opportunity. 

And what about me?

I was not a high enough bounty for them to retrieve when faced with a matter such as the confrontation of the yakuza. In this sense, Shigaraki was right. I was enough to make them worry, enough to cause a small panic, but ultimately, not enough to be prioritized or thought of in the face of multiple crises. 

Not enough to be considered, even when I was dying.

I finally looked up at the trio of men with glossy eyes.

"Why didn't you come to save me?" I asked, voice barely above a whisper. Aizawa hesitated for a moment before replying. He knew what I meant, but needed time to formulate an appropriate response, one that didn't give away much, but still sounded alright.

"The Hassaikai Organization almost turned the entirety of Japan upside down because of their bullets, (L/N). Destruction was inevitable if we passed this plan of attack."

He said this, but I knew what he would have stated if he actually had a backbone.

"Every mission needs a priority, (L/N). The priority was Eri, not you."

And it hurt. 

But I understood. 

Damn it all, I understood.

Not everyone could be saved. 

There were priorities that heroes had to maintain, and I just wasn't one of them.

But it wasn't fair. I couldn't seem to accept it. If I had a quirk, would I have been more important? If I weren't so average, so detached from the hero society, would I have been more important?