XIX: Midnight Sun

Weeks passed and (M/N)'s overall condition seemed to have improved, so much so that it was safe to say that despite the initial suspicions of Shioto's methods, the turnout was better than expected.

(M/N) was no longer a sad sack of skin and bones, but rather, a livelier person, one that was more pleasant to be around. Since the chronic aches in her back and joints are gone, and the newly formed blemishes are clear for the most part, she finds herself interacting with the people around her more, associating and stirring up small talk, going out to business lunches with fellow coworkers, sometimes even staying to drink a little before heading home. Maybe it was because she learned to appreciate what she had more, or it was just an enigmatic high produced by the drug she was taking and learning to adjust to, but either way, she was happy.

However, a small voice in the back of her head nags at this sudden prosperity and shakes its head at the spontaneous nature of the luck. Soon enough, (M/N) begins to see things from its perspective. Within all this joy and good fortune, she can't help but suspect that this sudden change in her lifestyle was caused by something that wasn't exactly advocating for her good will -- the calm before the storm, some might claim. And after everything that's happened to her and her family, you can't exactly blame the woman for trusting her gut feeling. 

So subsequently, like any rational thinker, (M/N) conducts a brainstorming session to recollect all her memories from the past month: what her routine was, who she interacted with, what major events had occurred, et cetera. She thinks that if she can pinpoint the places, people, and things that are responsible for her currently positive outlook on life, she can also find outliers and the more dubious causes. 

Included in this small range of things were: (Y/N)'s academic, social, and mental progressions, her recent promotion, the ridiculously good takoyaki she'd gotten from a newly opened shop down the street, discussing key episodes in an upcoming animation with her colleagues and-

Shioto's pills. 

This thought strikes her in the middle of sending over a couple of final drafts to her boss. Her fingers freeze at the keyboard and the sudden urge to vomits arises, but she manages to hold it in. Thickly swallowing, (M/N) hurries to open up another tab and begins to do an investigation of her own. 

Oh, how she hopes that this will help get things back on track again -- the older woman doesn't want to spend all day worrying about this situation, no matter how foolish she may have been. 

Pink unbranded pills for stress relief, (M/N) types into the search bar, hoping for some relief to come her way. 

She clicks the image tab of her searching browser once the pages load, only to find that every picture of a pink pill either has a branding, or looks nothing like the drug Shioto gave her. Continuing to scroll for the next ten minutes, clicking on articles, skimming through any verifiable source that she can find, all (M/N) is able to do is run into dead-ends -- no leads, nothing to fact-check what the affects of the medication was, or what Shioto said it was used for. 

A feeling of worry makes room for itself deep within the pits of her stomach. 

And it doesn't take long to settle either, unfortunately, as her office doors open within seconds of this sensation.

"Hey (M/N), don't want to intrude but- oh Jesus Christ, are you okay?" At the entrance stands a the director for an upcoming animation, a tall, fairly young, black-haired male, dressed in black slacks and a striped dress shirt only half tucked-in. A pair of thin-rimmed glasses dangle from the bridge of his nose and almost drop to the floor when he pauses to take in the sight of his burnt-out colleague. "You look so... tired. Is everything alright?"