VIII: Decisions

One's subconscious submerged in nothingness is the most gratifying sensation of peace and dread all the same.

The universe sings silent hymns of tall tales that draw your eyes to close forever, edging the darkness to engulf you as you lay there -- as you lay nowhere. Your limbs are taken by the mystery of the night and locked into place as your mind goes numb, its control of your body growing weaker as shadows spread. 

There are brief moments of peace while imprisoned.

Your resolve weakens and your eyes are sealed shut, but there is inherent beauty in being seemingly immortal, even for a bit. All you can feel is the faint trace of a warmness spreading throughout your being, creeping up your spine and blanketing you in sunlight. 

But there is only darkness. 

And perhaps it is not I that is speaking, but my subconscious. It craves this sensation of relief, of a hurriedly worsening feeling that beckons for it to believe that everything will be alright. No worldly pain will come in this fixed position, no treachery will befall my senses and crush my conscience, whom it loves so dearly. 

It is a fragment of the most worldly sense, it is a fragment of my understanding of the world. It emerges from the depths of my mind when there is something that cannot be seen by the worldly eye. It revels in peace, in prosperity, in the moments in which it knows that it cannot be harmed. 

In the moments where my physicality lays in the cushions of nowhere, of nothing. 

So it assumes that there is no risk while being imprisoned. 

__

When I was released, I found myself in some sort of holding room, bound tightly to a chair by ropes, my hands cuffed together by heavy slabs of metal to ensure that I had virtually no chance of escaping. This seemed too familiar to be anything but deja vu, but I digressed. For now, I needed to try and find a way out of here. 

As I struggled to find any means of breaking out that didn't involve the large, looming door in the middle of the wall opposite to me, I suddenly felt a presence shift outside my room and enter without a sound. My eyes narrowed at the intruding figure, scowling at the recognizable blue hair and patchy skin. 

"What do you want?" 

Tomura Shigaraki closed the door behind him as he slid into the room, his lanky figure hunched over in its usual position. He clapped his hands together then tilted his head, supposedly happy about something, though I couldn't see his face from underneath the prop hand he always wore.

"Just a little heart to heart." I scoffed at his false sentiment. I was incredulous at the sheer will he had to spout such a ridiculous statement.

"You don't have a heart, Shigaraki. Tell me the real reason you're here." He laughed amusedly, though his tone was a bit robotic -- forced, almost -- but he held his ground. Still maintaining a friendly demeanor, he advanced towards me, the soles of his shoes softly tapping against the concrete floor. Chills ran down my spine the moment he stopped in front of me.

"Remember the last time we went through all of this?" I stared at his undead expression with fierce eyes, begging for myself to not break the exchange or show any cracks in my resolve. Slowly nodding in response, Tomura hummed in satisfaction, shifting to hold his hands behind his back, pleasantly and slowly bobbing his head from side to side.

"Well I just wanted you to know that the offer still stands, even though you were exceptionally rude the last time I gave you a chance." His voice seemed to lift a bit, coming to a slight lilt at the end of his sentence. My jaw tightened and I gulped, sensing a storm brewing somewhere within his disguised irises.