VII: Complications

"(Y/N) wasn't at school today?"

The students had just been let out from class, a time for relaxation, but the unsettling question hung in the air the moment it left Midoriya's lips. Uraraka and Iida looked around, also noticing that they were gone, which was odd, since they should've come back on their usual train. Deku glanced at his classmate's empty desk, a small sense of dread befalling his gut.

As much as he wanted to believe that they'd just stayed the night at Gang Orca's agency, something just wasn't quite adding up. They needed to come to school -- it was a mandatory thing. Besides, why live at his house when UA had dorms on school grounds? And how could such a capable student just disregard their responsibilities as a student like that? Why'd they vanish so suddenly? Not to mention that they were training under an extremely proficient hero, who knew more than anyone what rules UA students needed to follow. 

Midoriya bit the inside of his cheek in worry, his eyebrows furrowing in thought. Deciding not to drop the topic so quickly, Izuku managed to catch up with Todoroki in the hallway, with Ochako and Tenya hot on his heels.

"Todoroki, have you seen (Y/N)?" asked the student, "I didn't see them during class." The hetereochromatic male slowed his pace, turned to his friend, then considered the question for a moment, digging deep into his memory for any signs of their quirkless classmate. 

"No I haven't," Shoto replied hesitantly, his eyes rolled up in thought, "The last time I saw them was at the license exam makeups. I don't think I even ran into them at the dorms this morning." Deku's eyes widened and he broke into a cold sweat. Something was afoot, and he didn't like the feeling it gave him. Folding his arms, he tried to think of all the possible solutions that (Y/N) might've gotten into, but nothing significant came up. Todoroki noticed this peculiar behavior and found himself in the midst of a great perturbation.

"Why do you ask? Did something happen?" he asked, his expression now beginning to show concern, "I thought they were training under Gang Orca." Midoriya nodded at what he said, but gave a sigh and looked at the ground, trying to concoct a plausible outcome for this scenario. 

But despite his efforts, he couldn't -- there were too many holes and unanswered questions to this situation. The green-haired student thanked Todoroki for his input and was just about to rush off to find Aizawa before Uraraka intervened, grabbing a hold of his forearm. Her features were warped, showing mixed emotions of both regret and worry, and Izuku could feel how hot her palm was against his own warm skin. 

"I don't think we should get mixed up in this right now, Deku," Ochako whispered reluctantly, "Because..." She faltered, but the junior hero knew exactly what she was going to say. He paused, unwilling to follow her lead at first, but came to his senses and knew it was the right thing to do. In this mess, the most they could do was to let the pros handle everything. They were lucky enough to assist them in taking down the Hassaikai operation, and they couldn't make things harder for those who knew how to deal with problems under these circumstances.

Midoriya gave a small groan but eventually submitted to his friend's plea. Feeling all sorts of emotions stir up in his chest, he pulled himself away from her and tried to force his lips into a smile, but only managed a wobbly line. 

The mood of the room dampened just a little bit more as everyone internally flinched at the sight. 

Tenya suddenly stepped forwards to console his friend, place a hand on his shoulder and patting it a couple of times.

"I know you really want to save everyone, but you have to realize that sometimes, it's not in your power to," Iida said, trying to maintain a forward tone, "It's just best to let the professionals handle this. I think we all know that they're more than capable of fixing things." Shoto nodded in agreement, as did Uraraka, who produced a soft smile, though her eyes still reflected the upset she felt in her conscience. Deku looked at everyone and let out the breath he'd been holding, his shoulders sinking and muscles relaxing.

"You're right. Let's just hope for the best."

__

It would be an understatement to say that I was exhausted.

My time in the garage felt like it lasted eons, but judging by the daylight cycle, I'd just been in there for half a day. Bound by ropes to the legs and back of a chair, I just sat there, restricted from moving even the slightest muscle. I thought it was a bit much, judging by the fact that I didn't have the capabilities to even make an escape -- not even daring to touch the possibility of a clean one. It was plain uncomfortable being around the League in such a shabby establishment. The air smelled like mildew and the ground was damp, much to my displeasure. Being around a bunch of people that made you feel like shit wasn't the best idea of spending the day, either.

Compress tried to talk to me every minute, which topped the sundae of annoyance and intolerable loathing I felt towards the villains. I was sure that he just wanted to squeeze information about UA out of me, but all he ever did was blabber on about such useless things. I tried to rupture my own eardrums so that I didn't have to listen to him anymore, but to no avail.

Giving a defeated sigh, I flopped my head backwards and blankly stared at the ceiling. I felt tired and alone, despite the company, as unwelcome as they were. Toga had traded positions with Dabi, who just stood and glowered at me every time I looked at him. Spinner just sat on the floor, scraping pictures in the ground with his knife. Shigaraki and the others were out doing something somewhere, and I couldn't have cared less.

Looking at the patterns in the ceiling, my mind wandered to the reason as to why the League chose to kidnap me again. It couldn't have just been a distraction, as Tomura put it, and I knew they were smart enough to not even consider a twisted kind of "conversion therapy" to be afflicted onto me, so what was this for? Why put in all this effort just to have me rot in an abandoned garage with a bunch of henchmen? 

Truly, I didn't understand the League's notions. 

My thoughts were interrupted by the doors to the garage slamming open, and Kurogiri signaling that everyone had to evacuate. He opened up two portals, one big enough for a person, and the other large enough for a vehicle. Dabi and Spinner hurried to the smaller vortex, while Compress stayed back and faced me. Slowly taking off his mask, the first thing I saw were those wicked, piercing brown eyes of his. 

Oh, I knew what was going to come next the moment his hand graced his pocket. That spark of blue left nothing but dread deep inside my soul, burying horrific memories in the pits of my mind. But I couldn't struggle against the riptide that washed my courage away.

I could only accept what came, like the tide lapping against a eroded shore.

Letting out a soft cry as I felt the pearl touch my head and my insides transform into gelatin, collapsing against my limbs, I looked at the sky once more before it turned black, and whispered my prayers to whatever source that could save me from this madness.

I wanted to go home.