Chapter 8

It was two weeks before I could make out the snowy waste land that was the Southern Watertribe. Two weeks of watching the sun and the warm humidity change into flakes of snow and grey clouds.

I didn't much care for the snow at all, the furthest I had ever traveled was to the earth kingdom. It's bristling, moderate climate was nothing compared to the icy chill that ran through my bones as I stood on the deck. Preparing to dock the ship.

I had spent most of my time inside , deciding that the easiest way to gain the trust of the guards was to comply with their rules. To lay low, all the while I was rebuilding me body, gaining my muscles back. I had notice my clothes had begun to tighten, my breasts returning to their fuller shape as well as my hips. I counted my blessing that no one had noticed, not that anyone had tried anything more than the simple sneer or the shoulder bump while passing by.

Kidon walked up to the rail beside me on the rail, bundled between layers of hide and fur, a hood covering most of his face.

"We should be docking in the next hour, and we'll go to where you will be staying for the next few months" he said, not looking at me.

"It better have a real bed and something to warm to eat, I think my blood has turned to ice" I said, gritting my teeth against the shivering waiting just beyond the line of my concentration.

He chucked a looked towards the village, small children were gathered around the shore, as if waiting to see the heroes of the war, they would be sadly mistaken when they seen me I suppose.

"You'll be lucky if they let you sleep inside one of their igloos and not in the barn with the animals."

I turned towards him, "So they will let me freeze to death simply because I  chose the right side of the war? My families' war? If they would have simply obeyed, maybe it would be different." I said, feeling the former fire light my vein.

He turned towards me, while I couldn't see the whole of his face I could see the disappointment shining in his eyes " These people fought for their families, the same as you did. Only they were born without a crown on their heads, you'll do well to remember that."

His voice was icier than the wind whipping my face, I started to rebut with stating the fact that not all of us in this world could be lucky. Such was life, it was unfair and cruel, but not to me, never to me. Until now. Kidon walked away, leaving me to my own devices as we neared the shore.

......................................................................................

The ship shook with the impact of the dock, its anchor hitting the ocean floor and rocking me on my feet. I swore and grabbed the railing, holding tight till a crew member shouted for us to begin unloading. I took a deep breath and started walking towards the bridge and the people on it.

I kept my chin up as I walked through the crowd that had gathered, analyzing the people, searching for the ones who would deem to underestimate me. I found many, ones who would look at me with disgust and hatred, ones who would spit on the ground as I walked. Some I found didn't do anything except stare at the fallen princess, excitement shining in their eyes as they stared at their trophy.

I was in the middle of the crew and Kidon was in the front, smiling and waving as if this were some damn parade. I suppose it was in a way, a prize from war being marched through enemy territory. I felt something hit the side of my head, something cold, something wet and hard.

I jerked my head to the left to see a child, no bigger than seven smiling cruelly at me. I didn't do anything but stop and stare, the child didn't flinch. I wondered how many years of suffering had hardened the child into this. Into a child without fear, a child of war. I seen myself reflected in the child's eyes. Not only my present self, but who I was as a child. A child of war indeed.

I slowly started to walk towards the child, noticed it was a small girl wrapped in a blanket so thin, barely covering her fragile body. Did her mother abandon her too? Is this why she was freezing and so filled with pain?

I stooped low enough that I peered further into her blue eyes. I said nothing as I took off my jacket and laid it on the snow in front of her. I didn't stay watch to see if the child took it, I simply stood back up and began my march to wherever the hell they were taking me.

I saw Kidon stopped in front of the crew, watching me. I said nothing as I shoved passed him, following the line into the heart of the tribe.

Winding streets and narrow walkways all covered in inches upon inches of snow was what greeted me. Walking through the snow was much more grueling than strolling along the roads of the Fire nation. Or being carried, I missed that a lot.

Ten minutes or so later, we came to a stop in front of the only wooden structure in the tribe. Kidon was the only one who walked up the frozen steps to greet a withered old woman who looked past her allotted time and bowed.

"Hello Great-Aunt Kanna, it been a long time" he said, his head still bowed.

She just took his head and lifted it to hers, "Kidon, you know there is no need to bow, you are family, and a friend to my grandchildren, you are welcome here." She said love in her gaze.

While they were talking, I had time to think of how the pieces fit together. Kidon was Kanna's great-nephew. But who was she? I had never heard of her. But those eyes, they resembled someone. Someone I knew.

Katara.