Chapter 9

I never dug into Katara's past, never knew her family and to be perfectly honest, had never desired to, until now. Learning how Kidon fit into the family of my enemies was not only intriguing but important. Learning how information could better suit my needs was a specialty of mine.

Judging by Kanna's elderly appearance I knew she had to be Katara's grandmother, or maybe great aunt, but judging by how the woman's skin wrinkled and sagged, she could be her great-grandmother. Though I don't believe she would have lived that long due to the numerous attacks made on this village that left it, well, how it looks now. Desolate, cold, and poor.

" You are welcome to come in, and bring your guests," she said looking out over the slew of crew and passengers. Her eyes stopped on me and wrinkled more if that was even possible. I met her gaze and gave her a sly grin, my lips tugging upwards in what was to be considered feral.

"Thank you Kanna, but we must first talk about my visit, it is not for pleasantries," Kidon said looking back over his shoulder at me. "Is there a safe place we can keep her while we talk?" he spoke lowly to her as if to not alert anyone else of the possible danger of the Fire-Nation Princess being on their hunk of ice.

"I am not rabid and I am not even dreaming of my escape, I cannot swim through the ice and I doubt there would be many welcoming faces to find. And I would like to be present when it is I whom you are discussing." I told them taking the icy steps carefully up to where they both stood. "Besides, I have a few questions I would like answered myself."

Kanna looked at me as if debating whether or not to let a wolf in with a pack of sheep. She sighed and looked at Kidon, "If she is to live here, she may as well become acquainted with Rok and the others." she said and begun to turn around leaving me with Kidon.

He turned quickly and grabbed my wrist, an offense punishable by death. He leaned in close to my ear, I could feel his warm breath on my frozen ear as he said "If you so much as to make a move to hurt anyone in there, it will be me you have to deal with."

"It would be my pleasure." I replied as I tried to shake his grip from my wrist, he only tightened in response. " I mean it, Princess, you will behave and listen with respect to everyone, this is not one of your games," he said, starting to pull me along inside. The heat of the fires almost made me moan aloud.

"Isn't everything a game?" I said with a wink as we trudged through the few bodies that were present in the igloo. With my body reheating I began to observe my surroundings, the igloo was large, not compared to what I am used to but considering where we were, it might as well have been a mansion. The ceilings were low, almost brushing Kidons head on the outside but as we grew closer to the middle, it began to rise higher. There was a massive bright fire in the center of the room, with others decorating the outskirts, like fireflies in a dark night they danced and left shadows on everything they touched. The benches were in a circle, which were not surprisingly made of hard packed snow. No doubt being kept frozen by the numerous water benders who had since come home after the war.

I saw no familiar faces around the room, made up of mostly men with a few of their wives standing close to their sides. The only woman in the room who seemed to have any semblance of control was Kanna. I wonder if it was due to her age that she captured such respect. " Kidon, I had heard news of your arrival, but I did not know that you would be traveling with such" the man studdered "foreign cargo" he finally spat out.

Kidon sighed, "Well Rok, it wasn't my intention to bring the princess to our home, but Fire Lord Zuko has decided this was best for his sister. He is hoping that distance from her father as well as Kanna's healing might be of some use." he said while shaking the man's hand. So Kanna possessed healing abilities, what use would they be? I am not injured physically, but perhaps with the right motivation, she might be able to restore my bending. If she is such a renowned healer, I don't see why it wouldn't be possible. She just needed the right motivation.

While my mind was spinning processing the new information as well as contemplating if and what I might use to 'motivate' Kanna, Rok spoke loud enough for the whole room to quiet down and give him their full attention.

"As we all know  Kidon has arrived, and as blessed by his presence as we are, he has also brought Azula, Princess of the Fire Nation." his voice boomed off the walls. Everyone went pin-straight, no one daring to move until they had located the outsider. "Aang and Fire Lord Zuko has sent her to us in hopes Kanna will be able to heal her mind," he said, looking out over the crowd.

"The bitch princess comes to us as if we have not all suffered at their hands!?" a voice shouted in the back. I went ridged and prepared to stand, if it not had been for the vice-like grip Kidon had on my leg. Rok chuckled and continued his speech, "while we all might dislike the princess and the situation, it is still the Avatar who came up with this idea as well as entrusted us with her. I am not thrilled with her presence but we will do this out of respect to him" He finished, looking at me, giving me a small smile.  " In any case, we do not need to fear her, she has lost her bending and will not harm us." The smile vanished, replaced with cold certainty "Because she knows if she steps one foot out of line, she will not be imprisoned again. She will be at the bottom of our oceans with a crown made of ice"

The crowd cheered hearing his final declaration. My blood chilled, I knew the look in the man's eyes, it was one I saw in the mirror every day. It wasn't madness or hatefulness, it was the look of a monster.