Chapter 2

Hardships never came to me, physically at least. I was born lucky. Born with the gift of fire, the ability to destroy, never to create. To be like lightning, fast, brutal, and unforgiving.

Life in the prison was the same, day in and day out, I sit and stare at the walls, the bars, the floor, and the ceiling. It's a bore. My only entertainment comes in the form of a water tribe boy, my taunting and threatening never seem to faze his icy exterior.

He should've been born fire nation, he would've been a better fit. I thought to myself, playing with the ends of my still short hair.

"Why did you cut your hair?" The same ghostly voice I'd grown so used to asks, her voice like nails down my skull.

I closed my eyes, willing my ever fragile mind to take control again.

"Perhaps it's because you loved it long, I'm not your puppet mother." I whisper to myself, ready to begin the agony of a conversation with my mother when the door opens, creaking on its hinges as the old metal whines.

My brother steps through the door timidly, one step at a time with his cloak concealing his face, concealing his scar. I always thought it was beautiful, a beautiful work of fire and flesh. A fitting punishment for a traitor, obey, obey, obey ZuZu. Didn't you ever learn?

A smile lit my face as he sat down in front of me, him I could deceive into a way of fear, him I could control.

Staring him down I leaned into the bars "Hello brother, what brings the fire lord to this lowly prison? Seeking father's approval again or are you simply tired of Mai?"

"That is none of your concern" he says in a harsh voice. I laugh and grind my nails against the stone, watching him flinch. I hit a nerve. "What are you and your girlfriend fighting already? Well of course I wish you both a long and happy life." I say while chuckling "A traitor deserves no less than a traitorous wife, I do wonder how long it will be till she abandons you just like mom."

Zuko kept his composure, however I could see the light in his eyes flicker. I wanted this. I wanted him to loose control, I wanted him to become the monster.

"This is not a social call Azula. You are not well. You hear things that are not there, experience whispers that are not real. You are-" I cut him off before he finished, " Oh how I didn't know you cared ZuZu, but for your information I am fine." I said in a sharp voice, pushing back the claws of my mother in my mind.

He gave me a long exasperated sigh, standing up and crossing the distance to the door. He looked back at me at the threshold " While Aang has the ability to take away bending, he also can give what he takes away. He can heal. You will be leaving for the southern water tribe in a week. Prepare yourself sister, it is not as warm as this cell."

The door slammed, just as what he said came into focus. I will be leaving my kingdom for a icy wasteland of no importance. I screamed, filling the air with what little fire I had contained within my chest. Exile. The punishment for a traitor. "I am not you! I cannot be treated this way!" My words echoed and no voice came back. I am no long the fire princess, I will become an ice peasant.