Chapter 4: Him

Chapter 4

I never had a thing for fashion, fads, or any of it. I always thought it was stupid to dress like everyone else.

But today was different.

I get a shower at 2pm, then put some ringlets in my hair. I go in my closet (aka death trap) and attempt to find some clothes. After 30 minutes, I give up and call Haimi.

Haimi is over at my apartment in ten minutes flat. She disappears in my closet and doesn't come out for twice the time it took for her to get here.

She lays a loose-fitting white top, skinny jeans, and a light brown belt on my bed. For shoes, I have light brown flats. I put small gold hoop earrings in my ear piercings and bobby pins in my hair.

Haimi does my makeup: A little bit of pale pink blush, mascara, and light pink lipstick.

"Perfect." She steps back after I'm dressed and ready. "You look beautiful, Mi."

I look in the mirror. "You think so?"

"Oh, I know so, little Japanese girl."

"Do you think he'll like it?"

"I know so, little Japanese girl." She blows a kiss. "I will see you tonight at Applebee's."

"See you then."

"And Mirai?" Haimi pauses before leaving my apartment.

"Yes?"

"Do not be afraid to make a move on him," she says. "I am a Cough Drop - a pep talk in every drop."

"That sounded weird, but thanks, Cough Drop."

"Of course, little Japanese girl." Haimi smiles and leaves.

---

I arrive at Applebee's. I'm nervous, though I shouldn't be. This isn't a date-date, it's just dinner with some friends. But I'm still shaking.

Ozzie arrives soon after I do. We are all seated at a table for 4 a few minutes later.

"Can I start you off with some drinks?" the waitress asks.

"Water," says Haimi.

"Two waters," adds Ranesh.

"Coke," I say.

"Two Cokes," says Ozzie, and I almost blush.

"They'll be right out." The waitress walks away.

"So, Ozzie," says Haimi. "Tell us about yourself. Give us five facts."

Ozzie raises his eyebrows. "Sure. I'm a toxicologist. I have three sisters, two nieces, and four nephews. I'm the youngest of my sisters. Umm . . . that's three?"

"Two more," demands Haimi.

"I suck at wrapping presents."

"One more."

"I dunno," mumbles Ozzie.

"Hmm . . . you single?" prompts Ranesh.

Ozzie looks surprised at first, then relaxes. "Yeah. Just recently broke up with my girlfriend. She wasn't my type. I mean, I thought she was at the time. After almost a year, I finally realized that she wasn't who I thought she was. So I broke it off. She keeps calling me. I don't care." He shrugs. "She's two-faced."

"Oh," I say softly. What else is there to say?

"To recap," interrupts Haimi abruptly. "You study poisons, you are one of four kids. You have two nieces and some-odd nephews. You are the worst at wrapping presents, and you are single."