Chapter 9: Her and I

Chapter 9
***OZZIE'S POV***

I wake up at 5am on the morning on my flight to Italy. Mirai hardly got any sleep last night - she was constantly tossing and turning. She made the decision to not go with me, because of her fear of flying. I understand that and I respect her for that. We did just start dating . . . but we've known each other for over a decade. It felt right when she told me she wanted to go, and it did hurt me a little when she expressed her fear and said she couldn't. Trying to be understanding, I assured her that I respected her and even though I'd miss her, we could still keep in contact.

Mirai wakes up around the same time I do, because of the bed moving so much. Her pretty brown eyes are blood-shot and big bags are underneath them. She flashes me her amazing smile that is plagued with sadness and worry.

I kiss her before going into the bathroom to get dressed.

When I come out, Mirai is putting on a t-shirt. Her hair is back in the usual messy bun, with a few strands of her hair hanging down around her face. She looks exhausted.

I kiss her again, but this time, she's shaking.

"Mi," I whisper, pushing the loose strands of hair away from her face. "It's gonna be okay."

She nods, keeping her gaze downwards.

"Look at me, baby," I say.

She looks up.

"Don't worry about any of this. I'll be back next month for a whole week," I say. "It'll be fun."

Mirai shakes her head.

I kiss her nose gently. "It's up to you. This is your decision. The taxi comes in fifteen minutes, okay?"

"Okay," she says softly.

"Can you help me bring my things to the front, baby?" I ask.

She nods.

I hand her a bag with my toiletries while I get my bit suitcase. We walk to the front door of my house and set the things down.

"Ten minutes," I say as I pour us some coffee. "Are you gonna stay here or go back to your apartment while I'm gone?"

"My apartment," Mirai replies.

"Will you come by and check my house every once in a while?"

"Yes," she says.

"Thank you, Mi." I give her the cup of coffee. "Love you."

"Love you too." I can hear the strain in her voice. She's trying not to cry.

A few minutes later, the taxi pulls up.

"It's time," I say, smiling at her. "I'll Skype you tomorrow, okay?" I get up from the table.

She bursts into tears. "Don't go," Mirai whimpers. "Please."

I pull her up, kissing her cheek. "It'll be okay, Mi. Take a deep breath. Shh."

"No." Mirai throws her arms around me, sobbing. "Stay here."

"I have to go," I tell her quietly.

"I'll come with you," she says hurriedly.

"What? It's a little late for that," I say, feeling sort of sad, too.

She bites her lip, her arms crossed. "Bye, Ozzie."

As I'm opening the front door, I suddenly remember something.

I shut the door and run to my bedroom. In the beside table, I pull out the extra plane ticket I'd bought, just in case she decided she wanted to come at the last minute.

Mirai is holding my stuff for me when I rush back into the foyer of my house. She forces a smile. "Love you."

I take the bags away from her and throw them on the floor. I get down on one knee, Mirai's eyes wider than dinner plates.

"Scribbles," I say, holding her hand. "Will you go to Italy with me?" I hold out the ticket.

"No marriage?" She laughs.

I smile. "I haven't bought a ring yet, Mi."

Mirai nods, laughing. "Yes, Ozzie, I will go to Italy with you."

The taxi honks his horn.

"Hurry up, Mi. Grab your shoes."

She gives me the biggest kiss, followed by the biggest smile. Mirai puts on her boots and grabs my toiletries bag.

I get the suitcase and we hurry out to the taxi.

"Driver," I say, climbing in the tiny taxi. Mirai falls on top of me, slamming the door. "Can we make a quick stop?"

"Sure, as long as you're paying me, Mr. Davis."

"Go to this address before the airport, but hurry please."

"Might I ask what for?"

"An extra suitcase," I reply. "For my lovely girlfriend who likes to make decisions at the last minute."