babysitter.

"right okay, he needs a bath tonight, and if all the crying gets too much for you or you can't get him to settle down, just give him a soother, that'll calm him pretty fast," anne rambled as she rushed around the house collecting all her belongings, her neighbour, louis, trailing behind her with a small smile on his face as this was about the third time anne had gone through this with him, but the man knew that anne was just nervous about leaving her baby with him overnight, even though louis had babysat harry on several occasions and the two were quite aquatinted with each other, so he continued to let her ramble while he nodded along, occasionally handing her the belongings she missed as she collected everything she needed for her business trip this weekend. "and um, i think that's it? gosh, i feel like i'm forgetting something, louis." anne said worriedly, suddenly stopping in her tracks and almost making louis bump into her.

"i'm sure if we run into any problems, i can get it all sorted, miss twist," louis said with a smile, placing his hands on her shoulders and guiding her towards the front door, not wanting her to miss her train to the airport. "he needs a bath tonight, bottle after he wakes up, check diaper every half hour, emergency numbers and money are on the kitchen counter, and extra soothers and changing supplies are under the bathroom sink." louis recited, anne sighing in relief as she pulled him in for a hug, thanking him for coming on such short notice and promising to take such good care of her fourteen year old son over the weekend.

"don't stress miss twist, we'll be fine." louis replied, handing her the suitcase he was trailing behind him as they made their way to the front door.

"alright, once again thank you for coming darling, let me just get you all paid and then we won't have to worry about that," anne said, reaching for her purse and opening her wallet, louis thanking her as he was handed his payment and tucking it away in his pocket. "and remember if you need anything, or if he gets fussy tonight, don't hesitate to call me, okay?" anne said, louis telling her that he would before they were saying their goodbyes and anne was rushing off to the taxi waiting in front of the house, two suitcases and a purse in hand while louis locked the door behind her.

it was quiet for another hour and a half or so after anne left before louis heard some muffled whines and snuffles over the baby moniter in the living room that was connected to the one in harry's bedroom, signalling louis that harry was awake and it was time to go grab him, as he wasn't allowed to go down the stairs by himself anymore after far too many accidents; the final straw being a trip to the emergency room with a sprained ankle, resulting in a panicked anne calling someone to install baby gates so harry wasn't able to do so anymore.

"hi love," louis said softly as he entered the bedroom, crossing the room to click off the baby monitor before making his way over to harry, who was looking very sleep-rumpled with his curls a mess and his soother falling out of his mouth as he yawned following a string of spit, his hands lazily rubbing at his sleepy eyes.

"b-boo?" harry asked, a bit confused as to why louis was here instead of his mummy, but nonetheless reaching out for the older boy, who grabbed him and set him on his hip, the warmth of harry's wet diaper seeping onto louis' hip.

"yeah love, it's me, remember mummy had to go do some work? i'm gonna stay with you for a bit." louis said, silently thanking whatever god was listening when harry didn't throw a fit over anne being gone as he was quite a momma's boy, louis figuring that harry was probably too sleepy to register what was going on.

"oh," harry mumbled as louis smiled and stood up, popping harry's soother back in between his lips before he could fuss.

"mhm, now i think we've got a wet bum to change, love." louis said softly, not wanting harry to get a rash from sitting in a wet diaper too long, harry humming and resting his head on louis' shoulder. "yeah good boy, you just settle your head down." louis murmured, carrying harry into the bathroom and laying him down on the changing mat that was set out on the ground, louis placing a hand on harry's thigh while he reached over and grabbed some wipes and a fresh diaper from the sink cabinet.