A Trap Set

John clicked his radio off, Luke had finally shown his presence in the Valley, and John had been itching to get the deepest secrets he was hiding.

Luke kept his thoughts and past very close to heart. Jacob had personally searched the Ranger Station in the Whitetails, and had come up with nothing.

His daughter Samantha had willingly given John the information she had, but it appears he hadn't told her anything about his life before he and his wife adopted her and her sister.

"Brother John?" Samantha called out quietly.

"Yes? What is it?" John slowly spun around in his plush office chair.

"When you get my father, please don't hurt him too much, he's a very kind man. He's only ever wanted to help."

John stood up and walked past her to the doorway of his Bunker Office.

"No matter how kind someone is, they must absolve themselves of sin, and to do that, they must cross an ocean of pain to free themselves. Only then, can they enter our New Eden. But don't worry, I will make sure your Father's atonement goes as smoothly as possible." John smiled at her as he turned around, watching as his words comforted the younger girl, before he shooed her out of his office.

Slowly John turned around. Now, how should he go about catching Luke? Surely he would be far more cautious than the Deputy was. With his military training, there was no doubt he could clear entire outposts before anyone realized what was happening. He had proved as much when he cleared the Whitetail Ranger Station.

He'll definitely start with taking back the outposts in the Valley, and the Deputy will likely be there with him. Even if he did capture Luke, the Deputy had escaped on the way to the Bunker, Luke was likely to manage the same.

John walked around his desk, before opening a desk and grabbing a map. The Deputy had already taken the US Auto garage, Sunrise Farm, and Rae Rae's Pumpkin Farm. What would be the most advantageous location that the Cult controls that Luke would prioritize?

John turned from the map to a clipboard. The clipboard had a photo of Luke and notes John had taken while reading Luke's background and military documents.

During his Second Tour in Afghanistan, "Lieutenant Luke Wilmette of the United States Marine Corp, would make the sacrifice and remain behind as his unit escaped an overwhelming ambush that would take the lives of three of his squadmates. After spending three months as a P.O.W. Lt. Wilmette was deemed psychologically unfit to continue military service and was discharged with honorable distinguish. Lt. Wilmette was awarded the Silver Star for exemplary service and sacrifice, and the Purple Heart for injuries sustained while a prisoner."

Another document clipped behind the first was a psychological evaluation. It told about what he endured during his second tour. Including the details of his final mission. "Lt. Wilmette has mentioned on multiple occasions that he was forced to kill a 'kid that couldn't have been older than 14'. He has also stated that he has had trouble sleeping for extended periods longer than an hour. I have also witnessed Lt. Wilmette space out for long periods of time, if left undisturbed in this state, Lt. Wilmette will start to panic and begin screaming after a period of 5-10 minutes."

These were two of the very few documents that John managed to get concerning their counties Park Ranger.

Luke in many ways was like John, a soul seemingly damaged beyond repair, yet they tried to help others more than themselves.

The difference was Luke helped with kindness, and a gentle smile.

He helped them with love.

Something John simply couldn't  manage. Joseph had warned him that if he does not learn to love, then the gates of Eden will be closed to him.

"Brother John!" A large project member shouted from the now open doorway.

"What! You better have a good reason for interrupting me."

"The Park Ranger! He's been captured!"