The Arrest

The cold crisp air blew through the driver side window of a truck bearing the name Hope County Park and Forestry. A lone man sat behind the wheel, the stereo turned down low, a barely audible song played.

Despite it being night, a pair of sunglasses dawned their face more from habit than necessity. A calloused hand scratched at his growing stubble before sweeping through his short umber hair.

"I need to shave tonight."

The patch on his uniform read Wilmette. His first name, Luke.

Luke Wilmette was never a religious man. Never went to church, never said prayers, and never thanked God for anything. Never saw the point in it. It didn't help anything.

So of course, he didn't spare religion a second thought when an old friend of his dad asked the rookie ex-military Park Ranger for help on an arrest.

Apparently, the family that moved in awhile back were under suspicions of kidnapping with the intent to harm. He never thought they were very violent. He got to know them a bit personally, as they came to the Hope County Park and Campgrounds, and stopped by his house with a gift occasionally after he would help them. Usually they brought these white flowers.

Sure the younger brother was eccentric, but people from big cities usually are. Sure the older brother was hard to approach, but he's ex-military as well. Luke doesn't blame them.

But they helped that girl Jessop stop her drug addiction. Strange that she stopped using her real name and started going by Faith, but he wouldn't fault her.

Joseph seemed nice enough himself, sure he tried talking Luke into joining them for sermons quite often, but he never seen anything about it as strange. Just preaching about God, plenty of people did it, it just wasn't for him.

Finishing his drive up the hill that overlooked the compound, he watched as his breath fogged up in the cool Montana air. To his right, he could see the compound, the first time he had seen what he had thought was just the Seed's home. Closing his trucks door, he retrieved his rifle out of the bed. Assembling it and placing tranquilizing rounds into the chamber, he sighed. He hoped he wouldn't be forced to use it.

Gripping his binoculars that hung from his neck, he surveyed the compound, taking note of everything he saw. ARs, Dogs... a flamethrower? Before he could conclude as to why a church would need these things, the sound of a helicopter's rotors in the distance entered his ears. It took only a few seconds before it flew overhead, circling the compound before stopping hovered for a moment. It seemed hesitant ad it began landing on the edge of the compound.

"Had this really gotten that serious? Was he too busy taking care of the park to notice things get bad?

He laid down on the grass and checked that he had already loaded his gun, before peering through the scope. He saw four people get out of the helo, two women, and two men.  He knew them to be the sheriff's department. He had called them quite often to take illegal poachers he had arrested to jail, although he had yet to meet their newest deputy.

They were accompanied by a U.S. Marshall, and from the look on Sheriff Whitehorse's face, he was a handful.

He watched as they cautiously walked up to the door, doing their best to keep people from getting to agitated. Hesitating for a moment. Whitehorse held up his radio up to his mouth.

"Pratt, you keep that chopper close, in case we need a quick exit. Wilmette, you make sure you fire only if absolutely necessary." He removed the radio from his mouth, looking in the direction of the hill, not sure where his backup was as Luke had made sure the truck was parked out of sight.