Monsters don't exist

Disclaimer: I do not own anything from the SCP universe, only my OC's. All the credit for the SCP's belongs to their respective authors and the SCP wiki. I do not intend to publish my original SCP's or characters on the SCP wiki website. The scp classification numbers I use for my original scp's may already exist.

Without further ado,
SCP: To those who look at the future.
Chapter 3: Monsters don't exist.
--------------------------------------------------------------

Completely out of breath, Autumn leaned against a nearby pine tree. She had run like her life depended on it for 10 minutes straight. The cold air stung in her lungs, and she couldn't feel her legs anymore. Still pounding and coughing, she dragged herself forward.

Autumn was having a major internal struggle with herself. She was getting closer to the place in her vision... Going against all her instincts to run away. Autumn looked absolutely awful like she had seen a ghost.

She had to see it... She had to know if it was real. Autumn wanted to run away so badly... but she couldn't. She NEEDED to know what was going on.

Autumn rushed through the moist forest path, the frozen leaves crunching beneath her boots with every step. Suddenly her foot caught stuck behind a tree root, and she smacked face-first into the cold, muddy soil. With a loud gasp, she pulled herself back up again, her legs still shaking uncontrollably.

As she wiped a warm tear off her cheek, the sun disappeared behind thick ash-gray clouds engulfing the dense forest in semi-darkness. A gust of cold wind blew right through her. Autumn shivered as it seemed to get colder by the second.

She froze up when a voice not too far from her called out. "Who is there!?" In a blind panic, Autumn crouched down behind a thick, broken tree log. The strong moist smell of moss, wood, and rain tingled in her nose. Autumn had to keep both her hands locked against her mouth not to sound like an exhausted racehorse.

Carefully she peeked through the rotten wood, nearly getting a heart attack when someone stepped down right in front of the log. With wide eyes, she stared up. The large boot belonged to a firm-built man, probably three times her size, dressed in heavy black armor.

His dull black metal armor was scratched up and worn out, looking straight out of a video game. What was visible of the man's dark eyes looked ice-cold, like he had seen too many horrors and lived to tell the tale. The soldier-like man stared into the distance, obviously looking for the source of the sound.

Autumn nearly squeaked when she noticed the large metallic rifle clutched in his hands, ready to fire. Autumn's breathing was now out of control. Her heart was bursting out of her chest, and her hands wouldn't stop shaking.

She was so close that she could hear the soldier's heavy breathing. Tears filled her eyes and crawled down her warm face. Autumn was begging for the man to go away, regretting every decision that let her here in the first place.

As she tried to crawl away, a loud snapping sound suddenly echoed through the trees. An instant shock of fear forced her breathing into irregular gasps. The man was now looking straight at her; his finger tightened dangerously around the trigger.

Autumn's mind instantly went blank, and survival instincts took over. Without thinking about the consequences, she leaped up and sprinted away as if the ground would disappear underneath her feet. She could hear the soldier yelling something unrecognizable behind her, but she ignored his call. Blood rushed through her ears, and all the muscles in her body protested with every step.

Her heart skipped a beat when a loud gunshot echoed through her ears. Autumn screamed at the top of her lungs as a burning pain shot through her arm, temporarily paralyzed her in a frightened state. The pain was like a knife dipped in alcohol had been jammed through her skin. Her head, pounding as a rush of adrenaline, kept her from fainting.