Mary

Disclaimer: I do not own anything from the SCP universe, only my OC's. All the credit for the SCP's belongs to their respective authors and the SCP wiki. I do not intend to publish my original SCP's or characters on the SCP wiki website. The SCP classification numbers I use for my original SCP's may already exist.

Without further ado,
SCP: To those who look at the future.
Chapter 6: Mary
————————————————————————

Dr. Lane jumped up from her chair, glaring towards the door as several silhouettes passed by. Red flashed through her office, and the alarm wailed in the background.

She quickly reached for the door, flinching as she almost misstepped on her high heel. From the doorway, personnel ran past like headless chickens. What a mess. Lane thought as she stared down the corridor.

"Eliz—. I mean, Doctor Lane." A voice boomed in the distance. Dr. Clifford stumbled through the hallway, leaving a trail of fallen papers behind him as he puffed for air, showing how much he was out of shape.

"Doctor Clifford, did an SCP break lose?" Lane asked as she closed the door behind her.

Clifford leaned down, picking up some papers as his sleeve wiped past his moistened forehead. "Yeah, it's 5899 again. Apparently, there was a breach of protocol. MTF-Fortuna is searching for her as we speak."

Lane pinched the bridge of her nose. "5899 again? I swear this is happening a bit too often lately. Who was it that failed to follow containment procedures this time?"

"It was Billy... He was the one in charge. Man, I hope they aren't too harsh on him. Thankfully it was just 5899 and not an actually dangerous Keter if you know what I mean." Clifford chuckled while cautiously waving his hand in the air.

Dr. Lane stopped in her tracks, narrowing her eyes. "Clifford, what are you saying? Scp 5899 may not look and act 'dangerous,' but she is far from harmless. You weren't there during the domino effect. A lot of good people died that day. To say that 5899 is 'not dangerous' is really uncalled for."

Dr. Clifford stepped back. "Sorry, Lane, I meant no disrespect." He opened his mouth, ready to continue, but he held his tongue.

After taking a deep breath, Lane reopened the door, ready to step through. "Wait up, Lane, aren't you going to see the conference?" Clifford asked.

Lane stepped into her office as she answered past her shoulder. "No need. I already know the protocol. We are to stay put until the escaped SCP is retrieved and back in containment... I have too much work to do, and the conference is only for new personal anyway. Now, if you will excuse me, Doctor Clifford."

Before Clifford could say another word, the door slammed shut. He looked down, carefully wiping some leftover crumbs from his lab coat as he let out a soft sigh.

"Tough luck, huh." A strong voice called out behind him, sounding much like a middle-aged man who smoked one too many cigarettes in his life.

Clifford turned around, seeing a tall, skinny, and unnaturally pale man standing down the hallway. Waving towards him with a broad grin.

"Oh, hey Danial," Clifford said. "Yeah, tough luck indeed. I think Lane hates me."

The now named Danial chuckled. "Ah, don't worry, she dislikes everyone. Part of the reason why she's still single. Doctor Lane is a true mystery."

"What do you mean?" Clifford asked.

Something to do with the rumors surrounding her. After all, not much is known about her personal life since she doesn't talk about it. But they say she used to be cheerful and kind. And that she turned bitter after her daughter was killed by an SCP."