xiii. INTO THE NIGHT

⋆ ˚ 。⋆ ✧ ⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼ ✧ ⋆ 。˚ ⋆

CHAPTER THIRTEEN: INTO THE NIGHT

❛don't be like the rest of them, darling.❜

⋆ ✧ ⋆

⋆  ✧  ⋆

Emma Carstairs didn't quite understand what made her head toward Mark Blackthorn's bedroom, much less search for him on the roof of the Institute. All she had known was that Dru's saddened gaze made her chest swell with sympathy; all of the Blackthorn children were worrying about their returned sibling. Even Julian - despite giving his best attempts of keeping a straight face for everyone.

The growing weight that was placed upon Julian's chest was the reason behind many happenings - starting from Zoya's growing concern and a wave of overwhelming emotions.

Emma was the first one to admit that there wasn't a person she cared more for in the world than Zoya Caldwell. Her parabatai had always been by her side - through thick and thin, offering support to the blonde girl whenever her spirits threatened to hit rock bottom.

Although Emma often avoided voicing out her feelings and gratefulness for Zoya, she found other ways to show it. No words needed to be spoken between two girls - actions echoed louder than any speech ever could.

Whether it be in the form of searching for evidence on Emma's parents' deaths or occasional shopping sprees, whether it be late night conversations or just sharing a bed when things became too much to handle, the parabatai pair understood each other more than anyone ever could.

Emma rarely thought of how her life would have turned out if Zoya Caldwell hadn't shown up on Los Angeles Institute's doorsteps, accompanied by Jace and Clary. It wasn't a train of thoughts Emma loved following; instead of seeing a life filled with pure love and sheer support, happy memories were replaced by a monochromatic world of sadness and hopelessness.

Zoya Caldwell had found a way into Emma Carstairs' life, bringing all the colors Emma had lacked.

If someone were to ask Emma whether or not she would have changed the decision to become parabatai with the certain raven-haired girl at such a young age, if given the opportunity, she would have smacked them on the head for even daring to ask such a question.

Their bond ran deeper than the matching runes on their skins, seeking past the heart and mind. It was why Emma had decided to take the matters into her own hands that night.

Despite Zoya confessing that the cause of her concern was the overwhelming ability of sensing others' emotions, Emma had known that the root of all the worries was growing in the form of Mark Blackthorn.