xvi. CRIMSON RED

⋆ ˚ 。⋆ ✧ ⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼ ✧ ⋆ 。˚ ⋆

CHAPTER SIXTEEN: CRIMSON RED

❛the blood was everywhere.❜

⋆ ✧ ⋆

⋆  ✧  ⋆

Gentle wind blew through Toyota's open window, effortlessly tangling Zoya's dark ponytail. The blue-eyed girl had her spine pressed into the backseat, right elbow resting against the door and firmly supporting her chin. For a while, Zoya had her gaze glued to the passing streetlights, examining the way wide streets curved and massive villas replaced those which were already grand enough.

For an unknown reason, the familiar ringing in her ears had made sure to greet the girl once more, making hair rise on her arms and unpleasant chills run down her back. She heard Julian and Emma talking in the front, but no matter how hard she tried to convince herself to listen to their conversation, her mind wasn't ready to obey. It kept on drifting back to the growing chiming sound in her ears, making her shut her eyes tightly.

She would have liked to be able admit that the noise was bearable, that her insides weren't screaming at her and begging her to stop the cacophony, but such a statement would have been classified as a blatant lie.

No matter what she attempted, the ringing was ever present.

"Zo, you alright?" Emma was peering at her, hazel eyes mildly widened and her seat belt digging deep into her torso. Julian watched her, as well, gazes meeting in the rear view mirror.

"Y-Yes, sorry," the black-haired girl muttered, finding immediate relief upon hearing Emma's voice. "I guess I lost myself for a moment."

"You sure about that?" Julian's eyebrows flew up questioningly, hands safely resting on the wheel.

Zoya registered the concern in his voice and, for a moment, she was sure that he had seen right through her fake smiles. "I am, Jules," she nodded. "It's nothing to worry about, I promise." Her blue gaze skipped onto Emma, lips curving up. "Now, what did the two of you talk about?"

Slowly, Emma turned in her seat, her feet lifted onto the dashboard. She seemed to believe Zoya, which sent a wave of satisfaction down the Caldwell girl's chest.

"I was just telling Emma how Ty's doubled up on his detective reading," the brunette boy cracked a small smile. "He asked me if I thought the killings were an inside job."

"Inside what?" Emma's head tilted back, a bubbly laugh escaping her throat.

The Sunset Strip welcomed them warmly, loud music busting from the expensive restaurants and clubs. Various, minimalistic or overcrowded, billboards announced the newest mundane hits, all while tourists smiled brightly at their flashing cameras.