xxxiii. LET IT ALL GO

⋆ ˚ 。⋆ ✧ ⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼ ✧ ⋆ 。˚ ⋆

CHAPTER THIRTY THREE: LET IT ALL GO

❛how do you say goodbye

when your heart still wants

to hold on?❜

⋆ ✧ ⋆

( do me a favor

( do me a favor. prepare tissues, just in case. )

Kit Rook couldn't have foreseen that his life would change from the core; not when his father kept on leaning against the backseat of his favorite chair and certainly not when Kit himself was sprawled across the floor ー pleasantly watching the Spanish Prisoner.

Every now and then, the blond boy would allow his eyes to part from the glowing screen and onto his father, examining the way his gaze got lost into the distance. There was no doubt in Kit's mind that Johnny Rook was thinking about something ー thoroughly and shamelessly.

In the very beginning, Kit had tried getting the truth out of Johnny ー openly asking him what he was thinking about, but the man never gave in. He would brush Kit's questions off, telling him that he shouldn't involve himself with matters that did not concern him. Occasionally, he would raise his voice and spare a sharp glare to his son ー but none of the gestures scared Kit. Not when he, too, was busy thinking ー thinking about the rumors that sneaked through the booths of Shadow Market.

Rooks were English aristocracy.

Kit's own mother. Mother he had never met.

The incredible, invaluable gift that was the Sight.

Kit let out a loud sigh, squeezing his eyes shut at the same time as the ground beneath him began to shake. He could hear the glass decorations in their living room rattling against the surfaces, just like how he could hear multiple books spilling across the ground.

His body reacted instinctively, his arms and legs pushing him up and toward the window where his father stood.

"Earthquake?" Kit questioned, brows raised up in a curious manner. It wasn't an unfathomable occurrence ー gentle tremblings of the ground were granted when one lived in Southern California.

"Something's happened to the Guardian," Johnny announced, cheeks hollow and skin rapidly losing color. "The protection spells on the house have faded."

"What?" Kit's eyes widened. Much to his knowledge, their house was always under protection and the mere thoughts of safety spells missing made the younger Rook rather uncomfortable.