xxi. UNSETTLING THOUGHTS

⋆ ˚ 。⋆ ✧ ⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼ ✧ ⋆ 。˚ ⋆

CHAPTER TWENTY ONE: UNSETTLING THOUGHTS

❛i think it's important that

people don't feel alone.❜

⋆ ✧ ⋆

⋆  ✧  ⋆

The theater broke into a hushed murmur, piercing the invisible wall that was the deadly silence. Significant glances were exchanged among the crowd, foolish words slipping into sweet nothingness as the respected guests of the Midnight Theater found their way out of the main room.

From the corner of her eye, Zoya took in the sight of her parabatai hastily scanning for the nearest exit. Her white boots were nervously tapping against the carpeted floor, teeth gnawing at her bottom lip before she let out a loud, annoyed huff.

Zoya's hand shot up before Emma could take a single step, fingers wrapping around her thin wrist and pulling her backward.

"They're going to kill him." Emma's gaze was troubled. "Everything she said ー the huntー"

"We don't know that," Julian stated, lips unmoving and forming a sickeningly sweet smile. It was such an unnatural gesture, but the crowd seemed to be fooled.

"Emma is right," Mark joined the conversation as the five Shadowhunters proceeded toward the double door they entered through. The faint melody of "As Time Goes By" lingered in their ears, increasing their anxiety. "A hunt means death."

"We have to offer him help," Cristina added, even though she didn't seem pleased.

"Even if he is a pervert," Emma chimed in. "It's what we doー"

"You heard the rules," Julian shook his head. "No interfering."

Zoya bit her lip, aquamarine gaze skipping in between her friends. "Unfortunately," she tilted her head to the side, "I think it's a little late for that. You heard Belinda, Nephilim already interfered." She took a deep breath in. "I only have one person in mind that could do so. One that doesn't belong to the Los Angeles Enclave."

Emma froze in her tracks, observing her parabatai. "You think it's Theodore?" She inquired. "Your friend?"

"I have no one else in mind," Zoya replied curtly. "The moment he decided to step in and intervene, the rules became inapplicable to all of us." Her eyes stayed on Julian, almost pleading for an approval.

Finally, his blue-green gaze softened. He let out a bitterly suppressed sigh. "Fine," he noted, defeated. He glanced at Zoya, Emma and Cristina. "The three of you go."