[13] Twentieth Year [Arc Part 1]

WOOOO BACK. THANK YOU SO MUCH EVERYONE FOR BEING PATIENT WITH MT WRITERS BLOCK BUT THE TWENTIETH YEAR ARC IS BEGINNING!! I HOPE YOU ALL ENJOY. ALSO THERE'S SOME ART OF KURAPIKA'S VISUAL FOR THIS CHAPTER/ARC AT THE END!

Head hung low, the prince leant his palms firmly on the dresser.

Hesitantly, he raised his head, and directed his eyes to the polished mirror in front of him. In his ear, he heard the metallic clinking, and the tiny weight on his lobe by the cuff that held the chain, which from there held the rhombus ruby at the end.

Looking in the mirror, seeing it now, the red in that ruby - not just that one, the ones bedazzled in his outfit, too - brought out that deep scarlet that burned like an inferno in his eyes in this moment.

On his body was a white poet shirt, pristine, and over his shoulders draped a red cloak with a white fur border. On his head sat a crown, and though it was quite thin, it felt heavier than anything he'd ever carried - any burden, worries, or even actual objects... Nothing could compare.

It was a fruitless crown.

His quivering palms lifted themselves from the surface of the dresser, and found their way to the golden threads.

His fingers fumbled over the loops and knots only for them to unwind. Biting his lip and crumpling his nose at the simple task.

Losing count at how many attempts he'd tried to just tie it into a knot, as he wrapped the loop around his finger and felt it drop loose, finally his hands slammed down onto the dresser.

Right where he started.

The rim of his high-cut trousers clung tightly to his waist, and it felt like that angered breathing couldn't get past it. These clothes, these rules, everything ate away at him, sucked the air from his lungs, made sweat drip down his temple.

His birthday clothing.

If this day was so special, meant to be so important, meant to be as celebrated as it was, then why did his body feel so heavy? Why did his legs feel so shaky, why wouldn't the panging pain in his head calm?

The slightest touch, the softest touch onto his shoulder, yet as soon as he felt that brush against the fur of his cloak, he turned his head, his heart skipping a beat, and gazed through his blonde locks as he looked upon him.

"Kurapika," His guard began, "You need to calm down."

The prince couldn't form proper words.
In the reflection of Leorio's sunglasses that usually reflected nothing, he saw two things, two bright, crimson eyes.

And as soon as he saw them, he had no choice but to look away. Leorio kept his hand firmly on his shoulder, but Kurapika had to turn back to the dresser. He couldn't face Leorio, knowing what he was seeing before him. He was seeing his pure anger and emotions spilling out, when he couldn't even hold it back.

"Pardon me. I look horrendous right now."
"No, no, don't say that." Leorio looked into the mirror, but the prince hung his head so low that he couldn't even see his face in the reflection.

From the insistence, Kurapika didn't reply, his companion taking it upon himself to inquire,
"Is it your eyes?"
Kurapika didn't reply for quite a few moments.
"People always get scared of them..."
The blonde lifted his head, and turned, looking Leorio in his eyes. The deep hazel only absorbed the blazing scarlet, and he saw his eyes glint in the reflection of Leorio's.
"...So why not you?"

Leorio didn't react much to that question, simply, softly brushing a loose strand from Kurapika's braided back hair back over his ear, and placing his thumb on his cheekbone, staring into the deep scarlet of his eyes.
"Well, because they're beautiful, obviously. Whoever said they're ugly was too stubborn to take a second glance."
Kurapika didn't reply, he actually ended up looking quite sorrowful at that.
"Or too scared to take a second glance."
Leorio continued to look into Kurapika's eyes as the Prince averted his gaze.
"I'll be honest," Leorio continued, "At first glance, they can be a surprise, scary even. But that's just the fear factor... If you care enough to look again, then, truly, you'd realise just how beautiful they are."
"Leorio.."
"Come, come." Leorio gently led Kurapika over by the hands to the bed.