[14] Twentieth Year (Arc part 2)

(Sorry for the delay in chapters! Art block and writers block hit me all at once lmao)

The breeze was gentle, and it softly flicked the sunshine-absorbent locks in the gale.

The grave was beautiful this time of year - spring. April. Not Kurapika's favourite month, but it didn't change that the grave was beautiful during this month. Flowers bloomed naturally from under the stone embedded in the grass and soil, and crept its stems from under, roots peeking from the base and glossy petals growing towards the overhead light. Vibrant emerald stems curled around the messily carved headstone, and a small growth of moss crept up parts of the rock. On the stone was the engraving of his childhood friend's name. The handwriting shoddy from childish, inexperienced repeated carving at the stone.

A soft hand placed itself on his shoulder-pad, lightly flattening down the velvet cloak.
"We'd better head back."
The guard was met with a nod from the prince.

And so, they headed back.

"Birthday preparations are underway, your majesty."
"I asked for no birthday, and in any case, general, its already passed."
"I'm aware, but the day of your birthday is not what I am referencing, my liege."
"Then what is it?"
"The day of your coronation, of course."

Leorio and Kurapika both sat side by side at the oak, scratched, splintered guard meeting table. Many a meeting had been held here, and Leorio couldn't help but think that the table hadn't been replaced since the quarters were first built. Leorio could recall seeing maps ripped up on the jagged corners and angles that the table had upon its surface, yet the budget always somehow found itself elsewhere.

But now, the two were faced with something that they knew would come, but hadn't yet acted on - the coronation.

Now that Kurapika was twenty, it meant that he was eligible to rule by the Royal Family's rules.

Therefore the coronation would be soon.

"..Alright." Kurapika gulped back mid-sentence, unable to hide the shakiness in his breath. "When?"
"The soonest we can hold it is June, so two months, my prince."
"Two-" Kurapika shuffled uncomfortably,
"Is that bad, sir?"
"No- I mean, well, I was hoping we could set it back a bit! I mean - I'm not exactly prepared for that soon, I guess-"
"My apologies, but I'm afraid we cannot do that, sir."

Kurapika turned his head quickly to the captain speaking, and asked why. All while this was happening, Leorio stood and made his way round the table to check the General's timetable of events that he had laid out to evaluate the best time for the Prince to be coronated.

While the captain hastily attempted to explain why it's best to have him coronated as soon as possible, Leorio's finger landed on a particular date in August.

"Late August is pretty much free for celebrations," He interrupted, "Whereas the date for the coronation in has other events around it, pretty soon afterwards, actually." Leorio's head lifted, and looked out upon all the guards, and Kurapika, who had a twinkle of slight relief, and slight scarlet, in his eye. "It'll be better to do it then so the Prince can settle in accordingly - there's no reason for us to rush this and shoddily do it."

The general looked upon the sheet and sat silent for a few moments, prompting small concerned "General?"s from the guards around, to which he looked up at Leorio.

Leorio was looking right down at him. Whatever expression was upon his face as the general looked up at him made beads of sweat drip from his temple, causing him to immediately stand, and mumble out, "August it is then."

From then, the guards immediately began preparing for the coronation. It was a huge event - even bigger than the ball. Even the highest ranking royals of all neighbouring kingdoms would be in attendance.
It also meant they had time to plan now.