[15] Twentieth Year (Arc part 3)

"Head down." Leorio's voice was firm, steel, as he placed his hand upon the back of Kurapika's head and pushed it downwards. He said nothing more, and Kurapika could do nothing but oblige.

The market was packed - more crowded than Leorio had ever anticipated. Today, some stalls had deals on, so there was more people around. By the time they'd reached the street, however, it was too late to go back. They might as well see it through, so they did. Every so often, though, Kurapika couldn't help but look up at the stalls. All of them sold different assortments of items and products - fabrics, fruit, jewellery, clothing, herbs, medicine. Varied, but each one caught the prince's eye, and fuelled, within him, a curiosity he couldn't quench.

After catching sight of a particular market stall, Kurapika stopped in his tracks. Leorio, not realising that he had stopped, bumped into the back of him.
"Hey! We've gotta keep moving, why'd you stop? Keep your head down."
"I know, I know, but-"
Leorio sighed, tugging Kurapika to the side, between two stalls by a small alleyway. He glanced back out into the busy street, and checking no one could hear him, he turned back to the cloaked blonde.
"You've gotta stay focused!" He hissed.
"No one's even looking at us! They don't know. There's no harm in looking at at least a couple stalls, right?"
"No! No, if any guards are around here due to the overcrowding, they'd recognise our faces in an instant. I'm not taking that chance."
Kurapika didn't respond at first, just stood, quiet for a moment.
"You're right. Sorry."
"No, no, I'm sorry for being so... vicious about it. I just really want this to go well, so we gotta focus."
"I know, I'll focus from now."

Leorio tugged on the loose fabric of Kurapika's cloak as the two went back out in to the street. The guard continued to guide the prince, swerving in and out of clumps of people, and leading him between the people amid the street. In time, the street just felt like it was going on forever - or that they were getting no where fast.

When, while attempting to squeeze between two groups, some shuffling could be heard nearby in the crowd, followed by forcing him into Leorio's back, nearly knocking them both over. Luckily, Leorio turned in time to grab hold of him so that he wouldn't fall fully, but as soon as he caught him, Leorio's nerves set on edge. Right as he was about to complain to whoever it was, a small woman walked over and held on to Kurapika softly, with a worried expression.
"I- I'm so sorry! Are you okay?"
She was talking directly to Kurapika. Neither of them knew who this woman was - just a random market goer, but this could lead to another miscalculation in their plan. Leorio was at no means to reply, but the blonde eventually found his voice, and spoke up.
"I'm fine! Don't worry. Thank you."
"Oh, oh my, I'm so sorry about that. There's always kids that run through the market. We get people sent flying by them all the time.. no matter how much we tell them to calm down, they just won't." The lady let out a sigh, and smiled at the two of them. "You two boys from out of town?"
"Yeah. We're just visiting some family." Leorio choked out.
"I see! Well, I'd better not keep you. But hey, just for your troubles, I own a candy apple stand. If you swing by later I'll give you one on the house for visiting our fine town!"
"That's very kind of you, thank you."

Immediately after parting from the woman, their nerves spiked. Not only had that woman seen their faces, but also spoke to them - it's a miracle she didn't suspect them at all.
"Hey." Kurapika mumbled, trying to get Leorio's attention without saying his name.
"Hm?"
"Can I at least hold on to your cloak? I can barely see where I'm going like this."
Leorio kind of forgot how much Kurapika would be able to see while looking down constantly, and this entire time he'd practically just been following where Leorio's heels stepped.
"Of course, sorry, I didn't realise."
"Don't worry. It's alright." Kurapika nodded, grabbing hold of the loose fabric on his cloak.