9 ~ One Caress

The motel, 10:22pm:

On the bathroom counter sat an overtired, enervated-eyed Poppi as she awaited to have a plaster applied to her chafed arm.

"Wan' go sleep," She babbled drowsily.

"Me too," Alan expressed his agreement with a lengthy yawn, attentively covering the minor injury with the plaster. "And that's exactly what we'll do now."

He then carried her through to the dimly lit bedroom; a slaughtered luminosity, for the lamps provided no light. With the flick of a switch, Poppi's nightlight accumulated enough brightness for him to be able to lie her into her cradle, however. Weary of her overlaying, he did so and planted a kiss on her head in the process.

"Goodnight, brave one."
~~~~~
One hour later, 11:40pm:

Falling asleep was a losing game for Martin, conversely to his dozing partner beside him. The imagery of the events from shy hours earlier thrusted his mind. Furthermore, his soft bleating turned to rigid, forceful respiration as he attempted to contain a sob. Wishing he could reverse it all, he compelled his eyes closed.

But sleep still remained laborious to come by. All of his feelings and emotions on the circumstance combined, making him feel giddy and green around the gills.

With a drying mouth, he gingerly shook Alan's arm.

"What's up, baby?" Alan queried as he gaped.

"Can't sleep. Head's swimming. Wanna throw up." He whimpered back.

"Something on your mind?"

"Tonight. It's like it's glued to my brain. I can't forget about it."

"Honestly, my love, I don't think it's something to be forgotten. At least not for right now. But there will come a day where we'll look back on it and think "Hey, if we survived that, we can survive just about anything"."

"I feel so guilty. Poppi didn't deserve to get hurt. It shouldn't have been her. It should've been me."

"No, Mart, it shouldn't have been you either, nor anyone, for that matter. Time heals all wounds, you know that?"

"I suppose so."

"And I KNOW so. We're not going to let this impact our being. Rather, it should impact that girl's. What kind of monster would deliberately hurt a one year old?"

"One you'd check underneath your bed for." Martin wiped away salty tears.

"I can assure you of one thing, and that's that this will never happen again. Watch me keep my word." His partner embedded his hand within both of his own.

"I'm watching."

Leaving a pout-shaped mark on his forehead, Alan enveloped his arm around Martin, refusing to go back to sleep until he had. As he watched him drift into slumber, he reflected on his lack of realisation of how his partner would tolerate the riot's after effects. He hoped that redeeming days lied ahead.
~~~~~
Nine days later, December 1st, the house:

'THE 02 RIOT': TEENAGER ARRESTED FOR ASSAULT ON A MINOR:

Sophie Fox, an 18 year old from Leicestershire, has been arrested upon the assault of one year old Poppi Wilder, Depeche Mode's Alan Wilder and Martin Gore's daughter, during a riot in which broke out on the London 02 Arena's grounds on the night of November 22nd. The riot, which formed in its thousands following a Depeche Mode concert, was said to be "unnecessarily violent" and an "incredible concern" by onlookers.

"It overflowed the streets. There was no room to move or even breathe." A group of fans told the magazine. "We were just trying to get out of there before things got too bad, but it escalated too quickly for us to keep up with."

Several hundred participants were injured and, following the band's swift departure from the venue, two ambulances had to be called.

"We, as a band and as people, cannot put how deeply sorry we are for those of our fans who were involved and/or hurt in the riot into words. We were not expecting it by any means and it was equally as impactful on us. All we can do now is ensure that the same or a similar event will be avoided and prevented at all costs from now on." David Gahan, frontman of Depeche Mode, stated over the phone.

Fox has since been taken in by police and she pleaded guilty for assault on a minor in a court hearing yesterday. She was kept jailed overnight and will now face a £150 fine.

"Only £150," Martin placed the magazine down onto the dining room table. "I wanna cost her every penny she owns."

"I know, babe. I kinda wish they would've fined her more too." Alan concurred, lightly ricocheting Poppi on his lap. "Admittedly she could've been hurt worse so I reckon that's why they settled for the half instead of the £200."

"You're right, but a graze to the arm was bad enough. The last time I checked, our fans didn't do that kind of thing. Do you think they were maybe-" He choked on his words.

"Maybe what?"

"Maybe trying to get back at us for having a baby? I did notice how people were driven away from us when I was pregnant, so maybe this is all my fault." A convulsion of sadness took over him, tying his tongue. "All my fault..."

"No, no, no, Martin! You've got it all wrong, baby!" Infuriated that his partner would think so dreadfully of himself, Alan rose from his chair and gave Poppi her plush monkey to distract her with as he clasped him within his arms. "Your brain will trick you into thinking that these things are true, but in reality, they couldn't be any further from it. Whether it was done intentionally or not, I highly doubt they were trying to seek revenge. Besides, they don't have any right to dictate our lives and what we decide to do."

The couple glimpsed into each other's eyes.

"Thank you, Alan."

"What for, love?"

"For being the most incredible man in the world." Martin, without any form of hesitation, brought him into an amorous kiss.

Having no opportunity to give a response, Alan simply kissed him back, discretely coming to a decision.

A decision he had never made for anyone else. He had made up his mind.