¥ Four ¥

Thursday 7th January 2021.

2:30pm.

Hanif's  POV.

Mallika had been calling me but I can't pick up because I'm in a meeting so I just put it on mute and threw it inside my laptop bag.

"Yes, we made sure to secure everything as soon as we delivered the products".

Alhaji Umar smiles.
Being your soon to be Father in law's most trusted distributor is nerve wracking. That's why I didn't pick up Mallika's call because I think it's disrespectful to do it, being her soon to be husband won't justify it.

"I know I can always count on you, that's reassuring but why didn't you engage in politics like Usman?" he asks.

I smile "I have never had any interest in politics, I've seen first hand what it can do and I'd like to avoid it".

"That's a remarkable thing to say but I'm sure your father wanted you to participate, am I wrong?"

"No, he did but he also understands and accepts your decision".

"He is definitely your father" he jokes laughing.

I stand "I'll go make sure the package is carefully placed".

"Sure, do that. Are you sure you're getting really prepared for the wedding next week? Start your leave today, I don't want Lawal thinking I'm exhausting his son-in-law".

"What?" I ask.

"Yes. Since you'll be getting married to his niece you're going to be his son in law".

"Fayza? Am I getting married to Fayza or---" He cuts me off laughing.

"Kids these days are really funny" He walks out laughing.

I immediately got my phone out and call Mallika.

Hanif?
Her voice sounds like she has been crying.

Are you okay?

You told me I'd be getting married to you, not Dahir but you. What is going on?

I don't know. Your father just told me I'd be getting married to Fayza is this supposed to be some kind of joke.

Obviously not. I saw the wedding invitations and you're really getting married to Fayza. Hanif, I'm confused.

I am too babe.

But Dahir hates me, I don't think he knows if not he'll never accept it. I've been calling him but he hasn't been picking up. I'm sure it's because he despises me.

We spoke last night, if he knew we all know he wouldn't be calm about it. I'll just go straight to their house. I'll call you back.

I race out.

.

Thursday 7th January 2021.

8:21pm.

Dahir's  POV.

I close the door and head straight to our living room and as usual Fayza and Anwar were watching.

I flop on the couch next to her.
She's looking a bit better today, last week she almost died when I informed her about her wedding arrangements with Hanif, I had to calm her down.

It's not like she doesn't like him, it's just that she's afraid because she knows he has a girlfriend but Hanif isn't a horrible person and I know he won't take out his anger on her.

"What are you watching?" I ask not even slightly interested. The only two things I enjoy are anime and Bull, nothing else.

"Bull, it's all about CSI".
"Ahh" I nod.

Anwar is mad for shows about crime scene investigations. He's practically obsessed.
"Your kind of thing" I turn and look at Fayza "And you?"

"Just trying to find something interesting to do before Sabeeha comes out of the bathroom so we can watch together".

I huff "Still watching that Chinese series".
She nudges me "Don't judge me, I actually really enjoy it".

I smile "Your wallpaper says it all" I say snatching her phone.

"Ka bani! (give it to me!)" she says trying to reach it but failing woefully.
I laugh "Take it".

"Ya Dahir, Ma said I should give you this" Sabeeha says handing me an envelope. "It's your wedding invitation".

I collect the stack.
I was about to dumb them on the side stool but something caught my attention, I couldn't believe my eyes.

On top of the card of my name and Mallika's name.

"Are.....are you sure Ma gave you the right stack?"
She looks at me confused "Yes, I'm sure".

"What the hell is this?" I ask raising my voice, standing abruptly startling both girls.
"Is this a joke?!"

I turn and look at Anwar but he just turned his head away, he knew but he didn't tell me. "Anwar! Is this a joke?!"

He stares at me "Ma.... She made me promise not to tell you".

I smile, I could literally feel every muscle in my body tense up, I need to calm down and I can't do it here "I hope it's a joke" I say Calmly before storming out.

It was after I got to my car that I realize I left my car keys in the living room and my phone was still in Ma's room were I kept it this morning. I didn't want to get in, not now.

I lean on the car taking heavy Breaths.
I don't know how to describe the feeling, I felt like smashing something, anything but I'm trying to stay calm.

Suddenly the gates opens and someone was walking towards me hurriedly. It took a while before I realize it was Hanif.

He finally gets to were I'm standing. He stares at me "So you just found out too?"

I stay quiet.
"Or did you know?"
"Does it look like I knew?! Does it!! Why would I want to marry someone like Mallika?! Why?!!"

"What's wrong with someone like Mallika?"
"She's spoilt, immature, immoral and cheap".

"Becareful what you say" he says getting worked up.
"Why are you angry? Why?!".

"She has been calling you, You ignored her, you ignored me too!"

I laugh hysterically, frustratedly "She called me? I don't even have her number? Why would I? I don't like her so I refrain from insults and talking to her because what she does is none of my business but that girl always finds a way, always!".

"Don't talk about her like that!"
"Because you're dating her?"

He looks at me shocked "How did you know?"

"I'm not stupid Hanif, I have known for years now but I just decided to stay quiet because I don't like prying. It's your life anyway" I start walking coming to terms with my foul destiny.

"We should do something about it".

"What? Nothing in this world will stop those old men from being family, nothing and the faster we accept that the better".

"Shikenan? (That's it?)"
"I know Baba and talking to him... I will never be able to convince him"

.
.
.
.
.