¥ Fourteen ¥

.
Dahir's  POV.
.

"Oh god!"  Ma shouts excitedly when she sees Reema, she runs over hugging her daughter almost knocking them both down.

I stand watching as I held my heavy nephew in my arms. The boy is very chubby and heavy, that's why he finds it really difficult to walk at 2years 6months.

"I missed you so much" she starts crying, loudly. Ma isn't a quiet person so everything is extra when it comes to her.

She turns to me "This is the best surprised I've received in years" she hugs me. "If you don't hug back wallahi zaka ci ubanka!" she says through gritted teeth so I hug back.

She pulls away as I watched the short woman try to take the boy from me. Her head wasn't even on my shoulder, she looked so small.

"Ma you've gotten taller" I joke.
"Sosai wallahi" Reema giggled.

"Dan ubanka I still gave birth to you. Tall or not you were here" she touches her stomach ".... For 9months before you came out with your extra large head".

She pecks Khalid, over and over and over and over again. "I'm thankful you didn't bring that girl with you".

"You mean my wife?" I ask boredly. She wants to start another argument.

"Why Ma? Mallika is actually really nice unlike what you might think". Reema argues.

Ma gasps, looking at us like we stabbed her in the back.
"Did.... Did you go to your house first before you came here?" she looked like she was about to have a breakdown.

Reema starts looking around like a hypocrite trying to avoid Ma's stares.
"So you did?" she asks again looking worse than she did before.

"Yes but only so she could use the rest room and pray".

"She could have done that here".
"But Ma it's far" Reema reminded.

"Well it's true its far". She smiles "Let's all go sit".
"Sure" I nod more than happy to change the topic of discussion.

.
Hanif's  POV.
.

I meet Ablaa on the patio using her phone.
"Yaya" she hugs me when she sees me. "I thought you wouldn't come".

"I made a promise so you should know I wouldn't break it".
"Yeah" she looks at Fayza "Ina wuni aunt Fayza (Good afternoon aunt Fayza)".

"lafiya lau (Afternoon)"
"So how is your Waec preparation?"

"It's going well, thankfully".

We go in.
We both sit back on the chair after greeting Hajiya.
"Hope everything is well?" She asks us.

"It's okay, everything is just fine Alhamdulillah".
She smiles weakly "You have gotten chubby, my daughter in law must be feeding you well".

Fayza blushes, she always blushes when someone compliments her. " I try my best".

"He has always had problems eating food, I always have to call him and hand it to him personally".

She looks at me surprised "Well I think he eats 5 to 6times a day and some of the time he offers to help just so I can make a snack".

I glare at her but she just giggles.
"So it was your mother's food you declined?"

I shake my head "Hajiya how can I decline your food, its the best".

After all the jokes Fayza excuses us.
"So Hajiya what's going on? You're not yourself"

"How would you know that?"
I tilt my head wondering if she was serious "You would have insulted me starting with my ancestors to my future generation when you heard about how much I ate. Is it you and Abba?"

"Don't worry its nothing" she insists.
"Hajiya please tell me, if you don't tell your son who will you tell? Who will understand and stay by your side. Ablaa can't focus because both you and Abba apparently haven't been yourselves".

She smiles "Every couple has their ups and downs, you're a married man now you should understand that".

I nod "I know, so will you tell me?"
She takes a deep breath "Your father wants to marry".

My mouth drops open "Marry?!"
She nods.
"Who would want to marry an old man like Abba? He's 62 already".

"I don't know what his plans are. I heard him arguing with Alhaji Junaid and Alhaji Khailani over the issue but he has already made up his mind".

I huff "So he wants to get remarried".
"Yes and you know how your father is".

"I'll talk to him" I assure her.
"Don't mind it, he and I haven't been in the same chapter for years now".

I nod.
I have one hell of a father.

.
Dahir's  POV.
.

I water my flowers while Mallika followed behind enjoying the fruit of my labour, taking boomerangs for Instagram.

"Maybe you should add water to this one, it'll look better on camera with more water".

I turn and look at her, glaring at her.
"Fine, it'll be okay this way" she smiles.

"We need grains, the ones left won't be enough for the birds".

I nod "I'll get them tomorrow...Fayza and I are going to the market".
Fayza. There was a time I was assured that she'd be my wife, I felt contented and happy that it'd be her. She's the perfect woman for me and Lala can't match up to her.

The gate barges open. Bashir walks in furiously. "Where is he?!"  he shouts startling Lala, she hurries over and hides behind me.

"Bashir... What are you doing here?"
He walks over grabbing my collar tightly "Where is Reema?"

I scoff "Reema isn't going back with you, be rest assured you will never see her again".

He lets go off my collar and smirks "Is that what you think? Because your father told me he would bring her here and we're going back to Kano".

I laugh hysterically "You must be insane if you think Baba would do that".

Suddenly the gate opens, Baba, Reema and Khalid came in. The poor girl looks like she had been crying.
I push Bashir aside and walk over to them.
"Baba, what is Reema doing here?".

She bursts out crying.
"Lala?" I call her.
Mallika comes over.
"Take her in".

"No!" Baba says grabbing my arm.

.
.
.
.
.

.
.
.
.
.