36 ~ A Terror So Powerful

The next week was a flurry of addresses and interviews and articles. Leo invited dozens of reporters and journalists to the palace, sitting through hours of scrutiny with me. Together we told our story over and over again.

The rioters were dispersed, but the unrest remained. People tacked up signs, handed out pamphlets, and withdrew public support from the prince completely.

Neither Leo nor I ventured outside of the palace, and the king wouldn't have let us even if we wanted to. The risk of some angry, slighted person noticing one of us within firing range was just too high. The possibility scared me to no end whenever a new reporter cleared security to shake my hand, but I firmly told myself to deal with it and carried on.

It was Hazel who came up with what we saw as our best idea. "A Convicting," she suggested one day while we sat in the Women's Room, taking a much-needed break. "You know, just like tradition. But instead of a common criminal, you could publicly condemn your relatives that survived the blast."

My stomach churned at the idea. "The audience will know perfectly well that it's all staged. They'll see that I'm just doing it to win favor."

"But maybe it will drive home the point that you're willing to do a lot to stay in public favor." Hazel shrugged. "Not that you actually care about that, but they probably think you do. Maybe they'll get the impression that you'll stay loyal just to be with Leo."

I shifted uncomfortably. "I don't know about that, Hazel. I don't think I'm brave enough to look all my...all them in the eye and send them to prison for their entire lives."

"You don't think you could do it for Leo?"

"When did you people become so good at manipulating me into doing what you want?" I complained.

But she wasn't wrong. No matter how hard it would be, I knew I would do it for his sake.

The king liked the idea when we presented it to him. "A very nationalistic tradition that everyone knows, allowing her to renounce her background in a Selection-oriented manner. It's genius. You, my dear, are a very bright young lady."

Hazel blushed, toying with her sleeve. "Oh, not really. I was just thinking about how Selections used to be done, and what we didn't do in this one."

"Well, it's a brilliant suggestion." King Hephaestus picked up a sheaf of papers. "I'll set it up for this Saturday -- that way we can broadcast it for maximum viewing. Calypso, I'll want you to speak with Lady Athena and Lord Hades about what your responsibilities will be."

"Will, uh, will the other Elite be doing it with me?" I asked hesitantly.

He paused, his hand hovering over the phone. "This is a statement of your loyalty. We want the focus to be on you entirely."

"Right. Sure." I backed towards the door. "I'm going to go tell Leo, if that's alright."

The king didn't look up as I slipped out. Hazel followed me. "You're nervous now."

"In three days I'll be on public display to condemn my own family. So, yeah, I'm a bit anxious." I headed for the stairs. "Wouldn't you be?"

"I'm sorry," Hazel said quietly. "I wouldn't have brought it up to the king if I had known."

I sighed. "No, no, it's a good idea. Really. It might even improve our situation a little bit. It's just nerve-wracking. I mean...I spent so much of my life praying I'd never see any of them again, let alone face them down like I already have. They'll hate me even more now. I suppose I shouldn't care, right?"

Hazel shrugged. "They're your family. Maybe you'll always care a little bit, no matter what they do."

I smiled wryly. "And that is exactly what makes me such a dangerous queen."