~ Playlist & Author's Note ~

• tear myself apart ~ Tate McRae •

"Can you see my hands shake? Heart is now an earthquake
I'm left alone to tear myself apart"

• Haunted ~ Taylor Swift •

"You and I walk a fragile line, never ever thought I'd see it break"

• When ~ Dodie

"Am I the only one wishing life away?
Never caught up in the moment, busy begging the past to stay"

• Second Time Around ~ Quinn XCII

"I've been living in hell, a prison of my identity
There's nothing left of me now"

• Nintendo Game ~ Alessia Cara •

"And so we treat love like it's a nintendo game,
but nobody wins"

the idea of you ~ mxmtoon

"I don't know if I'm in love with you or the idea of loving you"

• Greek God ~ Conan Gray •

"Oh, overcompensate cause you're sizing me up, the oldest trick in the book"

Fallin' (Adrenaline) ~ Why Don't We

"I can feel the rush of adrenaline, I'm not scared to jump if you want to"

Paper Crown ~ Kevin Krust

"There's no one to love you when you build your walls so high"

• I'm Yours ~ Alessia Cara

"But I tore down my walls and opened my doors
And made room for one -- so baby, I'm yours"

This Love ~ Taylor Swift

"Been losing grip, on sinking ships
You showed up just in time"

• Mercy ~ Kathleen Regan •

"Oh God, have mercy on me for what I can't forgive"

• Love Like This ~ Ben Rector •

"It's funny how everything I dreamed about starts to seem so empty without you"

Always ~ Isak Danielson •

"For every song, there's a song we're not singing
For every step, there's a step we're not taking"

• Run Away ~ Ben Platt •

"I may not be wise, and I won't save the day
But look into my eyes, and know I'll always stay
And I won't run away."

~

~~~

~~~~~~
~~~

~

January 14, 2019, to February 23, 2021. Wow. Just wow.

My first, full-length, completed novel, finishing out at more than 80,000 words. I never dreamed my little crossover would grow so big. It's been written from many different places: the top of a tree, sprawled on a bed, the back room of a church, multiple friend's homes, an airplane, plus countless scenes from my desk. 40 chapter in 25 months isn't bad, considering there was a solid half-year where I all but abandoned it. (Anyone who waited out that period of time for me is my hero.)

I'm two years older than I was when I began this. I have learned so much in this endeavor, and I think my writing has improved from it. I have a little group of people who stick with me and read everything I've written, which I would never have believed would happen. I have thousands of reads and dozens of new friendships because of this book. It has blessed me unimaginably.

I can't truly thank everyone who played a role in it, but some people in particular need to be appreciated:

demjin-: Nessie, my Cinder, my Aron, my dear, your endless support of this book has made it so much better. Your songs, your writing advice, your long talks, all of it means so very much. Thank you, thank you, thank you.

heydorothea: Scar, you wonderful wonderful human and fangirl, I've been so happy to gripe about the struggles of writing with you. You are the most positive human being, and I appreciate your long-lasting friendship so much.

sparklestar25: Star, my girl, your constant support has meant more than you will ever be able to comprehend. You are the sweetest friend I have, and you've helped me so much.

adoringlyyours: Naomi, you're just amazing. Your chaotic good energy inspired more small parts in this book than I have ever told you, and you've been a great little sister.

Annieboog: Anns!! Your writing and advice is amazing!! Your support on not only this book but all my others has lifted my spirits many a poor day and I will never be able to thank you enough for it.

To some very special readers: Daughter_of_water2, the first real fan of this book; wrenwhispers, whose sweet comments kept me going on multiple occasions; peanutbutterhell, the commenting-in-hilarious-meme-format goddess; Average_Weird_Person, who never failed to vote on a chapter just after its publication; _Your_Crazy_Fangirl_, who gave me literally dozens of notifications within a day; royalsXnobles, who never failed to brighten my mood with sweet words; calypsoramirez, one of my my most faithful voters; and many, many more.

Thank you all. So much.

I tried to depict Calypso as she really is. So many people hate her when I see a beauty in her ability to rise and grow from the hurt through which she's been. I did my best to stay true to her character -- her bitterness and compassion, her self-hatred and selflessness, her standoffish-ness and her wit. I have no delusions that I did so perfectly, but I hope I came close.

She's become my girl through this. I'll never think of her the same again. But without the unending support this book has received, I'd never have completed it, and so it is thanks to you all that I was able to do this. Again: thank you so very, very much. I hope I'll see you again in some other fics!

your neighborhood Ravenclaw fic-er,

~ Danielle :)