33: Stupid and dangerous

Edmund stormed from the castle, slamming the door behind him and heading for the gate that led into the woods.

He had no difficulty in faking tears, he only hoped he could pass them off as frustrated tears rather than worried tears.

He heard Peter calling his name, but ignored him and just kept on walking, just like he'd been told.

He soon reached the gate and continued walking, taking deep breaths to try and calm his pounding heart.

He'd walk for around half an hour, which is when he should get to the spot where his siblings and Aslan would be hiding; They were taking a shortcut to get there in time.

He just hoped this plan would work, because if it didn't, he didn't know what he'd do.

☆☆☆

"Come on." Peter murmered, attaching his sword to his belt. "We need to hurry."

Susan sighed sadly. "This is gonna go as planned Peter." She said gently, placing a hand on his shoulder.

"You don't know that." Peter sighed. "This is the white witch! She could do anything!"

Lucy stared up at him for a moment. "Anything?" She mumbled. "Like - kill him?"

"No." Susan said quickly. "Because we'll be there to stop that from happening."

"I can't believe I actually let him do this." Peter muttered even as the three of them and Aslan headed through the castle. "I mean, I let him practically hand himself over to the witch!"

"It was his idea Peter." Susan mumbled.

"Yeah, a stupid, dangerous idea." Peter choked. "It could quite easily get him killed."

"I promise you that won't happen." Susan told him, stepping outside and heading towards the stables. "And plus," She added as she climbed on her horse. "Haven't you promised Edmund that he'll be fine."

Peter swallowed hard as he swung up onto his horse, Lucy clinging up behind Susan. "I have." He whispered. "But that doesn't mean I can keep it.

"Then try." Susan said with a small smile. "You always do."

☆☆☆

It took them perhaps twenty minutes to get where they were suppose to be, and after telling the horses to head back to Cair, they sat in hiding for Edmund.

Lucy sighed a little and leant against Aslan, who had sat down beside the three of them, giving Peter a reassuring nod whenever he looked over at him.

Peter waited rather impatiently until he spotted Edmund, and he immediately stood and unsheathed his sword, still keeping out of view from his brother, which meant out of view from Jadis if she turned up.

Peter watched as Edmund hesitantly stopped walking, and wasn't sure if the scared expression on his was put on, or real, either way, it broke his heart.

Edmund swallowed hard as he glanced around, hoping that his siblings and Aslan were somewhere around here, before sighing and sinking to the floor, sitting crossed legged and burying his head in his hands.

His heart was pounding, his breathing slightly heavy and tears now rolling slowly down his cheeks, he couldn't help but wonder why an earth he'd come up with this idea in the first place.

Peter's heart broke when Edmund sunk to the floor, but he pushed aside his fear and nodded to Susan, who placed an arrow on her bow, ready to fire if Jadis showed up.

And after a further ten minutes... she did.

She was walking towards Edmund before Peter even realised and he had to quickly nudge Susan to let her know too.

They waited until Jadis was close enough, and Peter wondered if Edmund had heard her yet, before Susan rasied her bow and arrow, aimed, and let it go.

Peter held his breath, time seeming to slow as the arrow flew through the air towards the witch.

But a second later, Jadis' hand shot up and she caught the arrow.

Peter's heart stopped beating.

Edmund heard this and swung around, eyes wide... but they went wider when he saw the witch gripping one of Susan's arrows in her hand, a smirk spread across her face.

He went to stand and run, but was too slow for Jadis. She reached forward and grabbed the back of his tunic, yanking him back and pressing a dagger to the side of his neck.

Peter, anger and fear consuming him, dashed out from his hiding spot and stopped in front of his brother and the witch, his sword held tightly in his hand as he pointed it towards Jadis.

"Do you really think I'm that stupid?" The witch asked, a smirk on her face as she dug the dagger further against Edmund's neck, causing him to gasp slightly.

"Let him go." Peter said slowly, his heart pounding.

"Don't even try asking Peter." The witch sighed, grabbing a handful of Edmund's hair and yanking his head up, giving herself full access to his neck. "But... what I want to know is how an earth he's still alive."

"He didn't tell us." Peter said quickly. "I promise you he didn't."

"Then explain how he's alive." The witch said darkly, putting even more pressure on the dagger and causing one trickle of blood to start running down Edmund's neck.

Peter took a deep breath. "Aslan." He said quietly.

"What?!" Jadis said, probably a little too quickly.

Peter stood up straight, a small smirk on his face. "Aslan saved him." He said, before glancing towards where his sisters and Aslan were hiding.

Susan and Lucy ran over to join him, and were closely followed by Aslan.

Peter watched as the witches eyes went wide, but panicked a little when her grip on Edmund got tighter and the dagger was pressed further against his neck.

There was silence for probably a split second, before Jadis did something that no one could've guessed she would.

Her look of fear turning into a look of satisfaction, she flicked her wrist, and Edmund collapsed to the floor.

☆♡☆♡☆♡☆♡☆♡☆♡☆