40: We're home

Peter stared down at his brother for a moment before swallowing hard and giving him a gentle smile. "Hey." He murmered.

Edmund blinked at him tears filling his eyes before he opened his mouth. "We're home?" He whispered, voice hoarse.

Peter took a deep breath and nodded. "Yeah Ed." He murmered. "We're home."

Edmund was silent for almost a minute before finally talking again. "I - I don't feel well." He choked, shaking his head slightly.

Peter sighed, casting Susan and Lucy a quick glance before returning his stare to his brother. "I know you don't." He breathed. "But you're gonna be okay, it's just a fever, you'll start feeling better in no time."

Edmund nodded slowly before relaxing back into the cushions and blankets surrounding him.

Peter swallowed hard before looking up at Susan. "Can you get some water?" He asked, voice barely above a whisper.

Susan smiled gently. "Course." She murmered, before standing and walking across the room where there was a jug of water and two cups.

"You need to drink something alright Ed?" Peter said softly. "You must be thirsty."

Edmund only blinked at him, not looking too sure. He winced visibly though when Peter lifted his head up, taking the cup from Susan and placing it to his lips.

"Sorry." Peter mumbled, keeping his hand on the back of Edmund's head to support him. "Go on." He encouraged when Edmund only stared at him.

It took a moment of two but eventually Edmund took a few sips, before turning his head away.

"Ed." Peter sighed. "You need to drink a bit more than that."

Edmund avoided eye contact with his brother and swallowed hard, not saying anything but clearly getting his point across.

"I know Eddy." Peter choked. "But please, just a few more sips, it'll help, I promise."

Edmund didn't look too pleased about this but still did as he was told, before Peter lay his head back in the pillows. "Thank you." He sighed. "I promise you'll start feeling better soon Ed."

Edmund only nodded at him before his eyes began to droop again... it was clear he was still exhausted.

"Get back to sleep." Peter murmered. "You need it."

Edmund gave him a weak smile before almost immediately dropping off to sleep, leaving just Peter, Susan and Lucy once again.

"He - He wasn't awake for very long." Lucy said, sounding worried.

"He's just tired Lu." Susan reassured her. "He'll be alright soon, don't worry about it."

"I hope so." Lucy whispered.

Peter nodded slowly. "We all do."

☆☆☆

"Do you reckon we should wake him for some dinner?" Susan asked hesitantly as she sat down on the edge of the bed beside Peter.

Peter sighed from where was was resting against the headboard, Edmund curled against his side with his head resting on his chest. Peter's arm was wrapped around his waist, but of course loosely because he didn't want to hurt him brother anymore than he already was. "I'm not sure." He sighed.

"He hasn't eaten in a long while Peter." Susan sighed.

"I did try and get him to eat something on the way home." Peter mumbled. "But he only managed a chunk of cheese, and even then he nearly threw up after he'd eaten it."