5. A Pleasant Vindication

"Do me a favour and don't tell Vahni about this," I said to Sarah as soon as Siddharth left. 

"Why not? And what was that all about? The hot guy wants to make it up to you for something?" Sarah asked.

"This was the rude guy I met on my first day here. I told you about him I think," I said finally sitting down and taking a sip of my iced tea. 

"The music guy?" 

"Yes," I took a bite of pizza. 

"And why can't I tell Vahni about this?" 

"Because she'll want to go," I said and held up a slice for her to eat. 

"Wait, wait, wait, You're planning on not going when the hottest guy I have ever seen personally invites you after apologizing I assume?" she said and swatted my hand away incredulously. 

"Sarah, he might have been hot but his Jupiter sized ego is not attractive." I put down the slice.

"Okay, a person with a 'Jupiter sized ego' would not seek you out to apologize and try and make it up to you. And I am not saying you have to marry the guy, just go to the damned party. It sounds so much fun. Aren't you trying to do just that? Have fun and live life or whatever." 

I hated to admit it but she was right. Siddharth had apologized and in the worst-case scenario, I could just leave if it gets too bad. Also, I couldn't deny Vahni a chance to get up close and personal with the Red Wagon douches she seemed to adore. 

"Fine, you're staying though," I said.

"You know I can't do that. 7 am class and I already missed the practical. We'll party at my house when my parents go on that trip. Promise." she said. 

I pouted but there was no way around it. All of it was true I was grateful she had missed her practical to be here for my performance at least.

"That reminds me, they'll be announcing results soon. Let's get back to the auditorium."

Vahni and Smriti were already seated when we reached the auditorium. The dance competition was just wrapping up and the results were to be declared next.

"We were just about to call you," Vahni said and scooted over so we could get into the row.

Both of them were now in gorgeous dresses and towering high heels.

"You guys look stunning!" I gushed.

Before they could thank me the emcee grabbed our attention by calling the judges up to the stage and asking them to read out the results. 

To our absolute delight, Vahni's name was called out as the first runner up for the fashion show. We cheered loudly as she rushed up to the stage and received the trophy. They asked the winners to pose for photographs and she stood to a side with the other fashion show winners. 

They then had the Indian Idol finalist judge read out the names of the winners for the singing competition. I held my breath as my name wasn't called out for a second or first runner up. He took a pause before saying,

"And now... the winner of this competition is... Meera Sehgal!" 

Sarah screamed so loudly next to my ear that I thought my eardrum would burst. I recovered from the shock and ran up to the stage and received my trophy. 

"Congratulations, you sang really well." the judge said as we posed for a photograph together holding the trophy. 

I thanked him and went to stand next to the other winners. Vahni squealed and hugged me.