28. Beach Games

I yawned a little as I walked into the bathroom. Vahni was downstairs already with the others and for once I was the last one to rise. 

In my defence, I had stayed up late last night thinking about how it had come to this. I had finally made peace with the fact that I was falling for Angad. It had started a while ago. I couldn't point to the exact moment I had lowered my walls and let him in. 

Maybe it started at the fresher's party or the unofficial one, or the time we made a truce, or as we practised together for hours on end, or maybe it was when he came to rescue me on the day of Melisma. It could be any of those moments or all. I was just too stubborn to let things take their natural cause. I was determined to 'remain untethered' and not fall for anyone and now I was caught in this weird limbo.

I couldn't blame Angad for his lack of trying. In fact, if anything was to happen between us it would have to be initiated by me. The ball was in my court now. 

Almost since the moment I saw Angad strut onstage on orientation day I knew I had to stay away from him. It was all futile though. I was pulled his way helplessly ever since the day we first conversed. 

It wasn't until I felt a real threat of losing him that I realized how much I really liked him. I thought about how ironic it was that Vahni was the one who was always thought we were more than friends while I always denied it and now her proximity to Angad was what had made me realize all of this. 

I just hoped Vahni would understand if it all panned out. 

***

I got downstairs just in time to grab a quick bite. 

I spotted Angad talking to Vahni. My heart fluttered a little. I know I had seen him just a few hours ago but this was different. I was finally letting my heart take lead on this. But first, the important business that needed to be taken care of. 

With my coffee in hand and armed with three packets of salts I walked up to where Vahni stood with Angad. As conspicuously as I could I poured them into Angads coffee that was left unattended and then quickly joined their conversation. 

They were talking about the watersports we were going to be doing today. 

"I am really excited for Parasailing most of all," I said.

"Me too!" Vahni piped up. 

"Hey, Angad have you tried the cookies they are serving? It is really good." I asked after a brief pause. 

Angad was a little surprised as I offered him the cookie but not suspicious thankfully. 

"No," he said taking it from me and biting down. 

His smile disappeared and a grimace replaced it. He stopped chewing and mumbled through the mouthful.

"Meera what did you put in there?" 

"Oh, I don't know. Just some toothpaste maybe." I giggled.

Angad grabbed a napkin and spit out the rest of the cookie before throwing it away. 

"Very mature," he grumbled grabbing his cup of coffee and taking a huge sip. He paused again swallowed and then turned me because I was laughing by this point. 

"Meera!" he groaned and rushed off to rinse off the taste of toothpaste cookie and salty coffee from his mouth. 

Vahni turned to me,

"That was mean. Why did you do that to him?" 

"Oh, it was harmless. That was revenge for dunking me the first day we got here. Just needed to wait until his guard was down and he wasn't expecting my revenge." I explained.