19. Of Coffees and Pies

I had plans to meet with Sarah the next day. She was going to finally introduce me to Matt. That was all I was looking forward to, honestly. College didn't seem as bad as it had the last week but it had definitely lost the appeal. Vahni had tried talking to me after our argument but I didn't feel up for another confrontation. Smriti had tried making amends on her behalf but she found out quickly enough that it was better to leave the matter alone. 

Rhapsody practices were not as much fun anymore. Don't get me wrong, having Deepani, Yug and Siddharth around was great and everything but Angad and I had seemed to drift apart even more after our conversation and trying to rehearse with him was very confusing. We had appearances to keep up but we were also not on talking terms. 

Was it pathetic I clung on to every little morsel of conversation we had? 

Maybe it was. 

I consoled myself with the thought that this would eventually get easier.

The dates for Melisma had been announced and the whole college seemed hyped about the event. KGV was working full force to make sure this event was a memorable one and all of us felt the pressure heighten. 

We were practising double time now that the dates neared. Yug had even put a halt on the Goa trip planning to focus on the competitions. 

"I think we got it," Angad said out loud bringing me out of my reverie. 

We had been practising our set for the past hour or so. 

"Alright," I nodded. He didn't look at me.

We had both mutually agreed on discontinuing our friendship then why did I feel strangely guilty? 

I swallowed my disappointment and picked my bag up to leave. Yug and Siddharth were still busy with the group that had made long strides in terms of their progress. 

"Guys, I am leaving. We are done I think," I told them. 

Shreyas and Deepani were nowhere to be seen, no doubt sneaking about. 

"I think we should wrap up too," Yug said, "I am starving. Let's get a bite to eat."

"I have plans for later on and I'm not really hungry. You guys should go ahead," I said. 

"Actually I am not that hungry either," Siddharth said. 

"Fine. I'll just have Angad drive me," Yug said. He dismissed the juniors and marched to where Angad was sitting. 

Siddharth turned to me and asked,

"You wanna get coffee?" 

I checked the time. I had about an hour or so.

"In the canteen? I have to meet Sarah later on in Connaught Place." 

"No, the coffee place we went to that other time. C'mon, I'll drive you to Connaught Place after that." he offered. 

"Wouldn't that be out of your way?" I asked. 

I did want to go to that place again since the first time we had gone there had been sort of weird. But the coffee there was much preferable to the canteen coffee (seriously, how do they mess up something so simple as milk, sugar and coffee powder?)

"Not too much. Ten minutes, maybe."

"Alright, I could use some caffeine," I smiled. 

***

Siddharth was being extra nice. I laughed when he opened the car door for me. 

When we reached the coffee place he held the door open for me and then tried to pull the chair for me but before he could I was already seated in the other one.