Friday, January 22nd, 2021

George hasn't been at school the whole week.

I'm not worried at all though. why would I be?

we're not even that close of friends. just acquaintances.

he was there today, but didn't look the best. he looked restless. dark bags under his eyes with a coffee in hand and a big Starbucks sticker reading,

Tall Blonde Roast
One pump of caramel
Three shots of espresso

that can't be healthy.

I decide to wait till next class to talk to him. he looked like he just woke up and I wouldn't want to bother him.

I talked to him in PE. he looked even worse than when I saw him this morning.

"Hey George! it's been a while. have you been enjoying your book?"

he looked up at me with dull eyes that once shimmered in a rich brown. finishing a yawn, he responded.

"oh- it's great..! I haven't been able to read much but I'm so glad I got to start it atleast. I'll try my best to finish it next week so you don't have to worry about it being *yawn*.. late..!"

his speech was slurred. the bags look darker than before.

"hey, is everything alright? you seem weirdly tired.. don't take it the wrong way I-!"

"no it's f- fine! yeah I'm just really tired. I've been, um, sick the past week! haven't been getting a lot of sleep. but I'm fine, really."

he started to pull the gym clothes out of his locker. he moved like a sloth. so slowly, so smoothly.

I finished dressing quickly before him. I headed straight for the coach before he could find me.

I don't mean to brag, but I'm definitely one of his favorites. he's been my football coach for years now. he and the others literally call me "Dream" because I'm a "dream come true". it fits.

I told him about the short british boy and how he was feeling. he smiled at me wide and let George sit this one out.

everybody thinks Mr. Phil is some stuck up old man. especially the freshmen. but once you get to know him, he's the most understanding man in the world.

as we walked out to the field, coach stopped George in his track and pointed him over to a bench on the side. he looked confused as he stumbled over.

George looked up at me. I looked back and gave him a wink. all I got back was a shake of the head and a smile. shortly after, he mouthed the words "thank you".

if I had a tail, it would definitely be wagging.