POA: Chapter One

"Cordelia Marlene Lupin-Black! Hurry up, we're going to miss the train!" Cordelia heard her Pa call up the stairs of their small cottage as she looked through her closet for something to wear.

"I'm almost ready, I'll be down in five minutes, have you seen my converse?" She yelled down the stairs.

"They're next to your desk, under your chair!"

"Thanks, Papa!" Cordelia finally decided on a pair of ripped jean shorts and an AC/DC T-shirt, she tied a red and black flannel around her waist, slipped on her dad's old leather jacket, pulled on her converse, grabbed her cat Nightshade and raced down the stairs with her trunk.

"Ok Papa, I'm ready to go ... are you okay? Cordelia saw her father put a smile back on his face but she could still see the pain in his eyes.

"Yeah Cub, I'm alright, you just look like your dad is all, that's his jacket I assume. He loved that thing." He smiled as though he was thinking of a fond memory. "I don't know what he's going to do now that he's escaped Azkaban and I don't even know if he is innocent of his crimes, but I do know that if he is and if he was here he'd be so proud of you."

"Yeah pops, I know, you tell me all the time." Cordelia smiled at him teasingly. "Now come on we've got to go and you're a professor this year so we can't be late."

  "Harry, 'Mione' Ron!" Cordelia and Remus had arrived at King's Cross Station at 10:50 and bolted through the barrier to platform nine & three quarters, shoving their trunks into a compartment and hopped in the train moments before it pulled out ...

"Harry, 'Mione' Ron!" Cordelia and Remus had arrived at King's Cross Station at 10:50 and bolted through the barrier to platform nine & three quarters, shoving their trunks into a compartment and hopped in the train moments before it pulled out of the station.

As soon as the golden trio heard Cordelia calling their names they made a beeline for her, Hermione in the lead. "Della we thought you were going to miss the train! Why were you so late and what is your dad doing here?"

"Let her breath, Hermione." Said Harry laughing quietly.

"It's fine Harry, anyway Hermione, the reason that we're late is that I couldn't find my converse and second my dad is here because he's the new DADA Professor this year."

Ron pushed his way in front of Harry and Hermione now. "Oh, thank Merlin. We're finally going to have a competent teacher."

Remus chuckled lightly at Ron's enthusiasm. "Ok well thank you, Ron, now let's go grab our compartment and we can talk."

(Trigger Warning: Panic Attack, I don't know much about panic attacks and I didn't want to go into much detail because I didn't want to accidentally trigger anyone

(Trigger Warning: Panic Attack, I don't know much about panic attacks and I didn't want to go into much detail because I didn't want to accidentally trigger anyone.)

Hours later when it had gotten dark, the train came to a stop. Hermione had just gotten up to ask the conductor what was going on when the door to their compartment opened up and a figure in a dark hood came through. All of a sudden the once pleasant train compartment was cold and it felt as though all the happiness had been drained from Cordelia.

The dark figure of the Dementor came closer and closer until Harry passed out cold on the floor, shaking. That was the moment that Remus who had previously been asleep leaped up and performed a spell making the Dementor go away. Cordelia of course hadn't realized that her father had moved nor that he had helped Harry and given him some chocolate to make him feel better because she couldn't focus at all.

The only thing that Cordelia could hear was the sound of her own breathing in her ears and even that sounded tinny and far away. She knew she was having a panic attack, she had had them before but this was the worst one she had ever gotten. All of a sudden she could see the blurry shape of her father kneeling in front of her.

"Hey, Cordelia, look at me. I need you to breathe with me ok. In for 4 ... hold for 3 ... out for 5.... you got that, good, do that again," Cordelia did her best to count and breath but it still took her nearly 2 minutes to calm down completely.

"I-I'm ok, I'm good, I'll be fine now." She took a deep breath before looking at Harry and asking if he was alright.

"I'm fine Dell," Harry replied to his concerned friend. Then he turned to Remus. "What was that thing, Remus?"

"That was a Dementor, the guard the wizard prison Azkaban. I guess that they were here looking for Sirius Black. Now if you'll excuse me I need to go talk to the conductor, we should be at Hogwarts soon so you all best change." Then he turned to his daughter.

"I'll see you up at the school, ok?" Cordelia nodded and Remus left the compartment, the door sliding shut quietly behind him.

"You fainted on the train Potter, you actually fainted, and you Lupin, is true you had a panic attack, pathetic." That was the first thing Malfoy said when the small group sat down in the Great Hall.

"Shove of Malfoy!" Said Ron and turned back to his friends. Meanwhile, Dumbledore was giving his speech.

"Welcome to another year at Hogwarts! I have a few things to say to you all, and one of them is very serious. As you will all know, after their search of the Hogwarts Express, our school is presently playing host to some of the Dementors of Azkaban, who are here no Ministry of Magic business. They are stationed at every entrance to the grounds, and while they are with us, I must make it plain that nobody is to leave school without permission. Dementors are not fooled by tricks or disguised — or even Invisibility Cloaks. It is not in the nature of a Dementor to understand pleading or excuses. I, therefore, warn each and every one of you to give them no reason to harm you. I look to the prefects, and our Head Boy and Girls, to make sure that no student runs afoul of the Dementors." There was a heavy pause.

"On a happier note," Dumbledore continued. "I am pleased to welcome two new teachers to our ranks this year. First Professor Lupin, the father of our very own Cordelia Lupin has kindly consented to fill the post of Defense Against the Dark Arts teacher."

There were a few scattered applause and only Cordelia, Harry, Hermione, Ron, and the twins clapped very hard. "As to our second appointment," Dumbledore continued once more. "Seeing as Professor Kettleburn has sadly retired at the end of last year in order to spend more time with his remaining limbs, I am delighted to say that his place has been filled by none other than Rubeus Hagrid."

There was a loud applause though most of seemed to be coming from the Gryffindor table. Then as though everyone knows that he was done talking Dumbledore sat down and the golden plates and goblet appeared filled with food and drink. It was a long feast filled with food, talking, and laughter.

By the time they had finished eating they were full and tired. Hermione, Ron, and Harry said their goodnights before heading off to bed, leaving Cordelia to head down to her father's teacher's chamber to say goodnight.

                                                                 1226 words