POA: Chapter Three

Remus wasn't there when they arrived at their first Defense Against the Dark Arts lesson. They all sat down, took out their books, quills, and parchment, and were talking when he finally came into the room.

"Good afternoon, class," he said. "Would you please put all your books back into your bags? Today's lesson will be practical. You will need only your wands."

A few curious looks were exchanged but the class did as they were told.

"Right then," Said Remus, when everyone was ready. "If you'd follow me."

Puzzled but interested, the class got to its feet and followed Remus out of the classroom. He led them along the deserted corridor and around a corner, where they saw Peeves, who was floating upside down in midair and stuffing the nearest keyhole with chewing gum.

Peeves didn't look up until Remus was two feet away, then he wiggled his feet and broke into song.

"Loony, loopy Lupin," Peeves sang. "Loony, loopy Lupin, loony loopy Lupin —"

Remus gave a small sigh and took out his wand. He raised the wand to shoulder height, said, "Waddiwasi!" and pointed at Peeves.

The wad of chewing gum shot out of the keyhole and straight down Peeves's left nostril. He whirled upright and zoomed away, cursing.

"That was awesome, Pa!" Said Cordelia in amazement.

"Thank you, Della," said Remus, putting his wand away. "Shall we proceed?"

He led them down the next corridor and led them inside the staffroom door.

Snape was sitting in one of the armchairs. His eyes were glittering dangerously. As Remus came in and started to close the door Snape stood up. "Leave it open, Lupin. I'd rather not witness this." At the doorway, he turned and said. "Possibly no ones warned you, Lupin, but this class contains Neville Longbottom. I would advise you not to entrust him with anything difficult. Not unless Miss Granger is hissing instructions in his ear."

Neville went scarlet. Cordelia opened her mouth to defend her friend but saw her father raise an eyebrow at her and decided against it.

"I was hoping that Neville would assist me with the first stage of the operation," Remus said, "and I am sure he will perform it admirably."

Cordelia smirked and Snape's lip curled and he left, shutting the door with a slam.

Remus beckoned the class to the end of the classroom where there was nothing besides an old wardrobe that gave a sudden wobble, and started banging off the wall.

"Nothing to worry about," said Remus calmly. "There's a Boggart in there."

Cordelia looked at her father in confusion, why did he have a Boggart in the staffroom.

Remus continued to speak. "So, the first question we must ask ourselves is, what is a Boggart?"

Hermione put her hand up. "It's a shapeshifter," she said. "It can take the shape of whatever it thinks will frighten us the most."

"Precisely," said Remus. "The charm that repels a Boggart is simple, yet requires force of mind. You see, the thing that really finishes a Boggart is laughter. What you need to do is force it to assume a shape that you find amusing. We will practice without wands first. After me, please... riddikulus!"

"Riddikulus!" Said the class together.

"Good," said Remus. "Very good. But that was the east part. I'm afraid. You see, the word alone is not enough. And this is where you come in, Neville."