MOTEL FROM HELL

***

       Jacob.

       Jacob.

       Jacob, come to me.

       Come to me.

       Jake woke up with a startled gasp, breathing heavily and sweeping the covers off of him as he leaned forward in an attempt to catch his breath, his eyes darting around the room. 

       "Oh god," he wheezed with a hand on his chest as he slowed down his breathing and swung his legs over the side of the bed, planting his feet on the ground.

       Looking over to the other bed, he found it empty with no sign of Stiles in the room at all. Even the pull out in the corner was vacant meaning Scott still hadn't come back yet. He rubbed his eyes with a sigh and paused to take a deep breath, steadying himself with his hands on his knees. 

       Thinking some fresh air would do him good, he pulled his sneakers back on and stood up, grabbing his jacket and sliding it on.

       Jacob.

       The whisper caught him off guard, the tone the same as the one in his dream. Turning his head towards the door, he focused his attention and didn't move a muscle to see if he heard it again. 

       Exhaling heavily, he shook his head when there was nothing. "You're just imagining it, it's nothing," he said to himself, shoving his phone in his pocket.

       Jake. This way Jake.

       This time he was certain he heard it, his body moving automatically towards the door. His hand paused at the handle before grabbing it and pulling it open, peering out with a rapidly beating heart and dropping his head with a sigh when he heard and saw nothing. 

       Stepping outside of the room, he turned to close and lock the door and was greeted by a young woman with black hair and a grey complexion whispering his name with empty sockets for eyes.

       "Shit!" Jake exclaimed as he jumped back and stumbled, catching himself on the balcony railing and losing the key somewhere in the process. 

       He tripped over his own two feet in his haste to get out of there, scrambling and running along the second level. He made the mistake of looking back, only to realize that she was nowhere to be seen.

       Slowing down skeptically, he turned forward again in time to be confronted by her standing right in front of him, meeting her cavernous eyes that actually did exist but were painted black in every crevice. 

       He skidded to an abrupt stop with a sharp gasp, nearly falling on his ass in the process and just barely avoiding it by pushing off the ground with his hand. Panic shot through his every vein and propelled his legs, finding himself near the railing and falling into it for support.

       When Jake turned and looked where the woman just was, there was only empty space. 

       His chest heaved as he clutched onto the railing with both hands, his back to the cool metal, looking every which way to see if she reappeared but she never did. His heart was going a mile a minute, the hammering loud in his ears when he closed his eyes. 

       "It's okay, it's okay, you're okay," he muttered to himself in a futile attempt at reassurance, loosening his white-knuckle grip on the railing and forcing his eyes open. 

       He stood upright and staggered his way back along the balcony, his breaths still coming out ragged and erratic in his panic.

       Jake, he heard again, causing him to flinch and turn full 180, looking around but once again finding nothing. He continued backing up, trying to get anywhere else but there, turning around again just before arms yanked him back.