TAKE A DEEP BREATH

***

       Jake got an eerie sense of déjà vu when his teacher screamed for Derek, instantly identifying it as the same from his vision because he could still hear the echo in his head. 

       "He can win this, right?" he asked Isaac, realizing his mistake when he glanced at his friend and saw his face.

       Isaac's eyebrows were raised in a concerned way that said 'I'm not too sure about that' as he continued to watch Derek and Kali fight. 

       "Uh, yeah," he eventually decided with a brief look at Jake before refocusing his attention forward again. "Unless he wants to die," he added very unhelpfully, which was his speciality if you asked Stiles. 

       He had tried to get involved but Derek told him to stop when he tried to help Jennifer so he was forced to just watch him fight the crazed-overdue for a pedicure-alpha.

       "A lot of confidence there," Jake nodded since he shouldn't have expected anything less from Isaac, looking over again when his friend's phone buzzed.

       Get ready, the text cryptically read.

       Only a second passed before the signal followed.

       NOW

       Isaac was off as soon as he read the word, darting right for Jennifer as the twins started to figure out something was wrong and move closer in confusion. He didn't engage with them at all because he had one priority, pulling his teacher to him and away from the water.

       Jake was not as lucky given that he did not possess the same werewolf speed. The goal had been to get to the loft door so he could be out of the line of fire but the window was too short and he knew he wouldn't make it. 

       With no way out, he did the next best thing. Jake jumped onto the nearest pallet in the second before the electricity surged back to life and it pulsed so strongly across the water he could practically feel it tickling his skin.

       He caught himself against a pillar but immediately whirled around at the sound of cries of pain. His expression was one of concern while Derek got electrocuted but he would be lying if he said he wouldn't pay to see it happen to Kali again. Luckily for his friend and unluckily for their enemy, although she would disagree, the electricity stopped soon after.

       Jake didn't trust that the water was in the clear until the twins ran through it to get to Derek so he chose that opportunity to get himself to safety. Unfortunately, the alpha who started this mess had other plans.

       "Not so fast," Kali said with a sneer as she caught Jake by the throat not even two steps off the pallet. She tightened her hold when he struggled and dragged him over to where Ethan and Aiden were forcing Derek onto his knees and holding him down. 

       "When are you going to learn, Derek? Playing with humans only ends two ways," she taunted with a disapproving tsk, lifting Jake off the ground by her tight grip on his neck.

       For Kali, humans were either killed or they were turned— and right now it was clear she preferred one over the other.

        Jake choked when the hand wrapped around his throat and he tried his best to squirm out of her hold as she dragged him further into the room but it was no use. He was soon denied the small mercy of having his feet on the ground for purchase and he let out a strangled sound when his air cut off entirely.

        "Stop! Don't hurt him!" Derek yelled but he was straining against the twins holding him down and couldn't get his arms free since he was still recovering from the electricity and the fight he'd just had.