UNEXPECTED SURPRISES

***

A mass murderer who just so happens to be an electrical engineer running loose around town soon became the event of the week.

"I know he's here, I can feel it," Lydia stressed to Scott, Stiles, Jake, and Isaac.

After her hearing flies issue, they had sent Allison to sneak out of the school lockdown to search the bestiary at home. She wasn't sure how she knew this, and why the buzzing in her ears told her he was here, but she was positive Barrow was hiding out and they had missed him.

"We have until lockdown ends at three to search so let's split up and check," Scott nodded since he trusted Lydia's certainty. "Isaac, you and I will check the basement with the twins," he instructed.

Isaac nodded his agreement and then did a double take that resulted in him nearly snapping his neck to look at Scott. "Wait, what?" he asked incredulously. "We're just working with them now?" he asked.

"We need the extra help if we wanna find Barrow," Scott said simply with a shrug since it was that easy to him. The twins were going to have to do a lot of work if they wanted in the pack. At the very least they could use that to their advantage right now. "Can you guys cover the main floor for now?" he turned to the other three who nodded.

With that settled, the group went their separate ways.

"Are you sure you don't wanna talk about it?" Jake cautiously asked as they thoroughly checked another classroom, Lydia in the adjacent connecting one.

"About what?" Stiles deflected easily as he opened the classroom closet and found nothing once again. "Here's not here either," he said with an exasperated exhale, his hands on his hips as he turned to Jake again only to find him looking at him with the most unimpressed expression.

"You know what," Jake replied blandly. "Just because you can read again doesn't mean you're not still barely sleeping," he reminded. He had spent the few couple nights with Stiles after that night terror up until two days ago when his boyfriend told him he didn't have to worry and practically strong armed him into staying home.

He wasn't sure what on earth was going through Stiles's mind to make him think that wouldn't be anything except a red flag to him. Everyone was entitled to personal space but actively avoiding him at night just so he wouldn't see how badly he was struggling was another thing entirely.

"I'm sleeping," Stiles defended strongly, a strength that slipped as soon as he saw the raised eyebrows the comment earned as if daring him: you wanna try that again? "Okay, maybe I'm not sleeping as much," he relented.

"More like barely sleeping at all," Jake countered. He knew he was pushing, and maybe too forcefully, but Stiles sometimes needed that kind of push otherwise he'd take on the world by himself when he didn't have to. While Stiles checked on everyone else, who checked on him? Jake had looked out for him for years before they were dating because that was just how they worked.

Stiles had to admit he'd been caught red handed. "Fine, okay? I'm afraid to sleep in case I have another nightmare," he threw his hands up and let them drop to his sides in defeat. He had hoped he could hide it until it eventually passed but at this point it didn't look like it was leaving anytime soon.

Jake regarded him softly then, almost sadly, as the urge to comfort him replaced the need to get him to talk. "Is there anything I can do to help?" he offered gently, his expression concerned and worried as he stepped in front of him and took his hand. He was sincere, and genuinely wanting to help if it was possible.