DISTRACTIONS

***

Operation 'Get Scott to Move On' was in full swing as they neared the home of Stiles's childhood friend.

"Let's do this," Scott nodded, bouncing a bit to gear himself up. "Moving on," he repeated, taking a deep breath.

"Onward and upward!" Stiles proclaimed excitedly, clapping Scott's shoulders and shaking him.

"If I didn't know any better I'd say you two were drunk already," Jake laughed, climbing up the steps.

"Okay, I've got this, I'm moving on," Scott said strongly, smiling widely as they entered the house.

"That's the spirit!" Stiles cheered, leading the way inside since he was the one who knew the birthday girl.

"Stiles, hi!" a very pretty girl with curled blonde hair exclaimed from the middle of the room, striding confidently towards them.

"Hey! There's the birthday gir-" Stiles smiled, his words cut off abruptly by Heather locking him in a deep kiss, his eyes wide in confusion.

"I'm so glad you made it," Heather smiled suggestively, holding onto his hands.

"Uh, me too," Stiles stammered, obviously caught off guard, agreeing to go with her to get wine before realizing it.

Glancing back quickly, he caught Scott and Jake's matching looks of astonishment, Scott's mouth practically hanging open and Jake's eyebrows raised all the way before he was pulled away.

Jake had to blink quickly to knock himself out of his shock, clearing his throat awkwardly. Whatever he was expecting to happen when they got there was nowhere near watching Stiles' childhood friend greet him with a passionate kiss and lead him downstairs.

Immediately ignoring how the sight made him feel, he met Scott's smile with one of his own and forced himself to forget about it, instead focusing on helping Scott move on.

"Hey," Scott smiled at Heather's friend in a first attempt, furrowing his brows in confusion and looking down at himself when she raised an eyebrow and gave him an unimpressed once over.

After trying to remember where he'd seen her before, Jake finally recognized her as the girl who dunked Stiles' head in a pool at Lydia's birthday party to get him to sober up.

"Danielle, right?" he asked, smiling when she turned her gaze on him and looked mildly impressed. "I'm Jake, this is Scott," he introduced, gesturing to his best friend that was still confused over what was wrong with his outfit.

Expecting Scott to say something, he turned to him only to find him holding up his phone in shock, Allison's contact illuminating the screen.

"Go, it's fine," he assured, pushing him to the door since Scott was definitely going to answer it. Rolling his eyes fondly when Scott nodded and promised he'd back, he turned his attention back to Danielle.

"Well Jake, the good drinks are over there," Danielle directed, deciding she liked him.

"Lead the way," Jake smiled, not wanting to think about what Stiles was likely doing downstairs.

Since operation 'Get Scott to Move On' was postponed, maybe it was time for operation 'Get Jake to Forget About His Crush Probably Having Sex Downstairs'.

The new operation actually turned out to be in motion, just not with alcohol like he originally thought. After exchanging numbers with Danielle, Jake made to get a drink but was intercepted by Scott, an apprehensive look on his face.