3

Hongjoong was fidgeting around as they pulled up to the university, several hours before orientation.

"Joong, stop moving around so much, you're making me nervous." San chided from the backseat.

Sorry, hyung. I can't really help it, he typed, flashing an apologetic smile.

"I know. Also, are you sure you didn't do anything to Hwa? He said he woke up with a bruise this morning." The brunette stiffened even though he knew his stepbrother was just joking, a sense of discomfort taking over him.

San, I can barely kill a fly.

San laughed out loud when he saw the message. "Yeah, I know. Remember that one time there was this small lizard in your room and you freaked out?"

That was so long ago! He felt his face flush an entirely new shade of red, embarrassed.

"Ah, but then you refused to sleep in your room for the next week."

Hongjoong reached around his seat to hit San on the arm, but the other boy dodged it, sticking his tongue out at him.

"Boys! It's not a good idea to make me laugh when I'm driving, you know?" His mom chuckled. "Anyway, Joong, are you excited?"

Well, I feel like a jumble of nerves right now.... He showed her the message once they stopped at a red light.

"It's perfectly natural, alright? And don't worry, I pulled a few strings and you have your friends in all of your classes." She winked, the boy giving her a grin in return.

As they pulled up to the school, Hongjoong felt his jaw drop. The school looked like it'd come out of a fantasy novel: huge, ancient trees seemed to bend over a wide path that was surrounded by a never-ending expanse of green, while leaves of all different colors littered the gravel, giving it an otherworldly feel.

The car had barely stopped when Hongjoong hopped out, taking in a deep breath of air. As always, it was the perfect kind of cold, and the air seemed to feel cleaner, if possible. The sound of leaves crunching under his feet as he wandered on the path had a calming effect, and the nervousness he felt before was all but gone.

"Joong-ah, come back! You're going the wrong way!" San called from behind him.

Confused, he jogged back to where the car was. What? There's only one path.

"We're going to mom's office first, which is that way," San pointed to the left, where Hongjoong could barely make out the building.

Although he didn't want to admit it, the younger boy felt slightly irritated that San had referred to her as his mom as well. It was true to an extent, but he still didn't like it.

Alright, he shrugged, trying to shake it off.

"San, Joong, come here, I need your help!" Before either of them could do anything, she'd dumped a box(a quite heavy one, too) in each of their arms.

San groaned, and Hongjoong gave her the facial equivalent, not wanting to walk all the way to wherever the building was while carrying a heavy box of - what was it, anyway?

He gestured to the box with his head and gave her a confused look.

"Ah, it's stuff for my office."

"Wait, but you don't even have a box -" San started.

"Well, that's unfortunate, isn't it?" She gave them a cheeky smile. "And hurry up, I don't have all day, you know?"

Both boys gave her a glare as they started making their way towards the building, the box feeling heavier with each step. Hongjoong had to put the box down multiple times along the way, and was sweating by the time they'd reached her office.