10

You are the dream I live in, the dream I can never wake from, every day and night I'm gon' chase you, Seonghwa hummed to himself, breathless, as he lay down on the hard, wooden floor, staring at the ceiling of the dance studio. "Hongjoong, that genius. This is a really good song."

He'd been in there for the last five hours and would've finished by now had he not been struggling with the last chorus. Sure, he could just use the same choreography he'd used for all the other ones, but the energy in this part of the song felt so desperate, so heartbreaking—it truly gave the listener a sense of longing, and Seonghwa wanted that emotion to be reflected in his dance.

To be honest, he'd been scared that Hongjoong would absolutely hate the way he choreographed the whole song, but when he'd finished dancing, he turned to see the younger boy looking at him with stars in his eyes.

It's perfect!

"Really?"

Yeah, it just...makes sense? I don't know how to describe it, but it really fits. Plus, I already know the girls will be all over you, Mr. Fuckboy.

Seonghwa chuckled at the memory. Hongjoong was unlike anyone he'd ever met—he had a depth to him that Seonghwa hadn't expected and he somehow always knew what to say. He was calm and witty, and part of Seonghwa was starting to doubt if he really had been hit by the younger boy not once, but twice. It was almost like he had a different personality back then.

It's probably nothing.

Shaking off the thought, Seonghwa turned his attention back to the song, which was now at the bridge.

"Is this really something a college kid could write?" he muttered incredulously, listening to the lyrics.

The four beats that followed made it seem like the song was about to come to a close until the instrumental and vocals came in full force, hitting Seonghwa right in the feels. It was the feeling you got when you were longing for something you could barely remember, a trace of a memory. "It's a dramatic last chorus...so maybe some acting? Plus, I want the attention to be on Jongho's high note there."

After much begging (and a promise to treat him to lunch every day for a week, Hongjoong managed to persuade Jongho to sing on 'Inception', and when Seonghwa had listened to Jongho's part for the first time, he was floored. Who knew the boy had such a powerful voice? Not to mention, his high note at the climax of the song just gave it all the more heartbreak.

Seonghwa hummed to himself, getting up from the floor and pacing around the studio.

"A lot of the lyrics are related to chasing someone..."

He trailed off, suddenly remembering a conversation he'd had with Hongjoong two days ago, after he'd apologized for being a jerk to him and agreed to introduce the song. They were in the car on the way to the mall when Seonghwa asked the boy what the song was about.

"Isn't it a movie?" he'd asked. "Like, a really trippy one? I had to watch it a couple of times to understand its meaning."

The younger boy giggled. Yes, it is. Do you remember? In the movie, the main character's wife had trouble differentiating between fantasy and reality after coming out of Limbo. She'd had a happy life.

"Yeah, that scene was really heartbreaking."

This is like that. Where you're chasing someone that made you happy but it's been such a long time since you've felt like that and you start wondering if it was real or just a dream.

Realization struck like lightning. "Is that why it's called 'Inception'?" he asked, staring at the other boy in wonder.

Yeah.