Chapter 1

Note - we are calling Mrs Coulters daemon in this ozymandias (oz) just so it's easier!

Lyra had never seen anything like it. A mighty flying balloon of some sort. She had watched as Jordan College, her Oxford, faded away. To a place much grander, though she thought that impossible. This place had much taller buildings, busier streets, and as she had figured nicer rooms. This was discovered as she entered Mrs Coulter's house, she admired the woman. She was amazing. And the youngest scholar she knew. And she knew her uncle, though that was a brief tale. "wow..." she whispered, stroking pan who was on her shoulder.

Mrs Coulter wasn't quite sure how to feel about lyra coming along with her, to live with her. Of course, she had Lyra's room already prepared, she had contacted some of the best designers in london, god this girl needs some proper clothes. She had big plans for Lyra, for both of them, but it will be very strange to have a child running around her apartment, a disobedient child on top of that. Before she met Lyra she never knew she wanted her daughter back with every ounce of blood in her veins and that scared her the most. The girl even managed to put a smile on Marisa's face, she seemed to be truly happy to go live with her, probably because she hoped to see the north one day. Children also take lots of time and responsibility and that also scared her quite a lot, her hands were already full, for she has dedicated most of her entire life to her work and the Magisterium, and besides, Marisa didn't even know anything about this girl besides the fact that she was already blindly fascinated by her and loved polar bears, well at least she didn't have to worry about asriel anymore.

Marisa and Ozymandias could barely keep up with Lyra as they practicality ran on their way to her house, she genuinely smiled at Lyra once again as the child walked around the house, admiring all the rooms in her apartment, Marisa let her run around and explore each and every room, except for her study, she made it very clear for Lyra not to go in there and bother her under any circumstances. "... and this room will be yours, i do hope you'll be fine here" she whispered as they walked into Lyra's new room, the bed was huge, white sheets above its frame were perfectly clean and properly maintained, some old fashioned maps and blue paintings hanged on these white walls, the carpet was made of the softest wool, the chandelier was also quite big and exquisite, just like everything else in Mrs Coulter's beautiful apartment, all because she simply wanted only the best for her child.

Lyra couldn't believe it, this was nothing like her old room, absolutely nothing like it. She audibly took a deep breath before breaking into the brightest smile and running forward, jumping on the bed, she bounced before she flopped onto her back, feeling the expensive sheets under her body, the feeling was beyond anything she'd ever felt, it gave her more butterflies in her stomach than even talking about the north did. She didn't even bother to apologise for her improper behaviour, the staff at the college probably would have slapped her knees for such silliness. She immediately remembered the thing in her pocket that the head master had given to her. He'd told her to lie, to this all but fabulous woman. Surely she couldn't. This woman mesmerised her. So much. Her smile made her smile, and her laugh, which was rare, would warm her up, why would she lie, for at this moment, Mrs Coulter felt like the closest thing to a mother. "so you know uncle Asriel? Have you met the Polar bears?" she desperately wanted to ask about the north more, about what she'd seen in the study she was forbidden from but went in anyway. "are there gobblers here?" she asked, she sighed a little, stroking her daemon in her lap. Her heart sank, for on the journey, was this the first she had thought about her good friend Roger. She hadn't had chance to tell him that she was leaving, who else would he play with. Though, she'd noticed his peculiar absence that day, she ran a hand through her dirty twisted hair. "I'm going to miss my Oxford" a small sad smile touched her lips, it had seemed that she'd calmed a little, perhaps the adrenaline wearing off and the exhaustion settling in.