Apologies

Shadow: 20
Sonic: 19
Blaire: 18
Twitch: 19
Cavern: 19
Silver: 18
Rouge: 20
Amy: 19
——————————————————————————
Blaire's POV

I looked at my brother as he avoided my gaze, signaling that he was hiding something. I wasn't going to push him to tell me, but I still had to at least ask to know whether or not the annoying pink girl was telling the truth.

"Shadow? What is pinkie talking about?"

"Pinkie-?!" Tails stopped her before she could finish her fit.

"I don't want to talk about it..."

His tone made me instantly worried. Something was definitely wrong, I could feel it. Did something bad happen? Was he okay? Did he get hurt?

"Shad-"

"I said I don't want to talk about it!" he snapped. "Now just drop it already and leave me alone!! Why don't you ever listen?! You annoying pest!"

I stepped back with my ears flattened and my eyes widened slightly in fear. I'd never seen him like this before. The Shadow I knew and loved was so kind and caring, not easily upset and cruel. This angered image of my older brother brought back the memories of when I fought with that murderer. He had used some kind of illusion to try and trick me. He made it seem like my brothers hated me and didn't want me around anymore.

My brother's eyes widened as if he just realized what he did and went to reach out to me, but I took another step back and looked down. I didn't want to upset him again by saying something I shouldn't... I didn't want him to hate me.

"I'm sorry... I didn't mean to upset you, I just wanted to know."

"Blaire-"

The twins came to my side, but I teleported to the library before they could try to comfort me. I just wanted a little time to myself. Maybe having them come back tonight was a bad idea... maybe coming back myself was a bad idea. I went up to the top level and grabbed a book before huddling in the corner, wanting to distract myself from the images that were popping back into my mind. I then heard the elevator door open and looked up just as Rouge flew up to where I was.

"Hun, what happened back there?" she asked gently. "You just took off, you even looked scared."

I looked away from her and set the book in my lap, not saying a word. I heard her sigh and felt a slight breeze as she flew over to me and landed beside me, sitting down.

"Is it because of what Shadow said? You know he doesn't mean any of that, he just got frustrated."

"Because of me..."

"What? No! It wasn't anything that you did-"

"He said that I'm an annoying pest." I countered, still not meeting her eyes. "I obviously did something to upset him, and he probably hates me for it. If I had just stayed instead of going to the river that day, or even just let everyone think I was dead-"

"Don't you dare say that!"

"You know it's true, everyone would've been better off if I had just-"

"Blaire."

My eyes widened slightly as I looked up to see Shadow standing in front of us. Rouge stood up and, while giving him a warning glare, opened her wings and flew off to the elevator. I looked away from my older brother as he looked back at me. I heard him sigh before kneeling in front of me.

"Blaire, I-"

"You don't have to apologize." I said. "I shouldn't have kept asking when you said you didn't want to talk about it. I should be the one to-"

"Hey, just listen to me, okay?"

Maybe it was the tone of his voice, or maybe my state of mind. Whatever the reason, when he spoke, even though he was being gentle, I flinched slightly. Barely noticeable, if you weren't observant like my family was. Shadow sighed and pulled me into a hug, muttering curses at himself while still apologizing to me for what he'd said before.

"I shouldn't have said that to you. It wasn't fair to you, and I'm sorry. It's just... a lot happened to everyone while you were gone."

"I know that, and I know that it's my fault because I was gone and I should've tried finding you both sooner. I just want to know so that I can help any way I can, or at least so that I can try and understand what you guys went through."

He was quiet for a few minutes before looking down at me with pain and sadness in his eyes. He stood up and started zapping around the library, grabbing certain books and bringing them to the corner I still sat in. Once he seemed to have found the books he was looking for, he teleported back and sat down next to me, opening one of the books. It had a picture of the space station that he and Sonic had stopped from crashing into the planet on one of the pages he opened up to. I gave him a confused look as he sighed.

"If you really want to know, it only makes sense that I should tell you the full story."

"You don't have to tell me if you don't want to now, Shadow."

"No, you of all people deserve to know what happened. Do you remember hearing anything about Sonic and I stopping a space station from destroying the planet?"

"Yeah, I'd heard about that and a bunch of other stuff you guys had done together."

"Well, that place was called the Space Colony Ark, and it was essentially used as a research laboratory to search for the cure to an illness that a young girl had around 52 years ago today."

"You sure know a lot about it."

"That's because I was there, on the Ark with the girl."

"Uh... huh?"

Shadow turned to another page and showed me a picture of the scientist crew, along with a young blonde girl with Shadow standing beside her. She was pretty, for a human. She had long blonde hair, sapphire blue eyes, and a sweet and genuine smile.

"Her name was Maria... her grandfather was Gerald Robotnik."

My eyes widened as I glanced up at him. He had a distant look in his eyes as he stared at the picture of Maria. He must've felt something for her, or something really bad had happened to her. Otherwise he wouldn't have the same look on his face as when he'd think or talk about our parents.

"What happened to her?"

He instantly tensed up and his gaze hardened as he turned away, clenching his fists tightly. Something definitely had happened to her if he was responding like this.

"She was murdered."

I felt my ears go down in shock and sadness, my eyes widening as I tried to apologize for asking, but he calmed himself and turned back to me.

"It's okay, I told you I was going to explain everything. I haven't even talked to Rouge or Sonic about this, and they're both always chiding me for keeping it to myself. You've always been the more sympathetic listener in the family, the best I've ever known. That's why I'm telling you, so it's okay if you ask me any questions you have."

"Okay... then how did you know her if it was nearly 50 years ago, and why did pinkie say that you and Sonic were enemies?"

"Get comfortable,

because it's a really long story."