Chapter 3

Chapter 3

Onyx

Waking up has been a great event in my life. Never waking up is an even bigger one. I was 7 when my mother died, and I remember her; addiction was the only thing I remembered. My father, a drunk, left me with on the front step of an orphanage.

I was a rambunctious child, so I was taken out of the orphanage and placed in the foster system. The worst part is knowing your father just gave up on you, is still out there somewhere, and didn’t even bother to say goodbye.

But, at least I woke up, but in the lightened alleyway I was left in last night, with a pair of hazel eyes looking down at me.

“Bubby, Look! She woke up” screamed the little girl sitting on my stomach, referencing to something behind him. I sat up as the little boy, about the age of four, stood up and ran next to a tall man.

I went to stand up when I felt an agonizing pain in my side. Wincing at the pain, the tall man walked up to me, helping me up. He gave me his hand as I hesitantly reached for it. Pulling me up, he put his hand on the low of my back, getting more support. I looked into his deep blue eyes and felt lost in them.

Then, I realized how close we were; chest to chest, with my hands on his chest to help support myself from not falling.

“You have a little gravel in your hair” he said in a low whisper, picking it out. His hand left the low of my back, and I felt his warmth leave.

“Thanks” I whispered back in response, looking down to the ground as I felt my cheeks start to fill with color. His spare hand lifted my chin to look at his crystal eyes again.

“The name’s Nash, but that doesn’t seem to matter. And you are?”

“Brooke, but that doesn’t seem to matter either.”