Chapter 7

Coal

I automatically stood up from my seat and started to look for Skylynn. For some reason, I couldn't find her. I looked all over the playground area of Central Park, and there was no sign of her.

"Brooke please, let me help you" a close voice bellowed. It was his voice, and I knew that there wouldn't be a positive outcome to this situation. I turned around and was faced with a pair of familiar eyes that were starting to change color.

"Haven't you caused enough damage? Leave me alone." He stood up to meet me and I felt intimidated. His 6'1 frame towered over my 5'6 figure. I looked into his eyes and I saw confusion and anger. He made me think about what to say. He made me think about him. His eyes made me want to ask, yet remain silent. Something snapped, and his eyes started to change color.

"They're turning" was all I could say; the pure hazel color started to change into a deep onyx. I was terrified, yet so intrigued at the same time.

"It's what happens when I'm angry, Brooke. My eyes change and a different side that you would not want to meet starts to take over. Just a suggestion; run."

I stayed put. Looking down at his fists, still clenched, I reached towards his hand and intertwined my fingers with his.

As I looked into his eyes, I proceeded to say, "I'm not leaving you."

Suddenly, I felt a sharp pain in my hand. I looked down as my blood dripped onto the concrete.

"Matthew, stop; you're hurting me!!" I yelled as the pain seemed to increase. I felt my knees become weak and I fell onto the floor.

Then everything went black...