Purpose and Talent

Hey all, writer here.
These last chapters are gonna be longer than the rest.
That's all I had to say. Enjoy the read.

__________

For Calliope, living in the surface was easier said than done, and despite her hate for Kiara, she acknowledged that she needed her in order to learn how to properly do things like hunting, camping, or cooking. Plus the fact that her body was relatively weak made her depend on Kiara for walking anytime her stamina ran out.

Kiara had lead her through many cities in order to arrive at the old place filled with life that was her friend's home.
The trip was long, and they constantly had to take breaks and sleep in rather inconvenient places, but eventually, approximately three months from Calli's arrival at the surface, they got there.

Calli was shocked by the view she had of the place. She let go of Kiara's shoulder and walked forward to get a better look.
The place that was previously full of life had been desecrated by the phoenix. At this point, all the fire was put out, and barely any trees or grass could be found in the pile of ashes and embers that was left behind.

-"I told you didn't I?"

Kiara said behind her. Calli didn't answer.

She let out a sigh and looked at the burnt place as well.

"I do appreciate that you wanted to contemplate it one last time"

Kiara remembered how it looked like before she snapped at her. Back then, the thought of such a lovely place becoming a burnt wasteland was simply horrible, but it had become reality through her own mistakes.

"...I didn't want to when I first saw it"

She walked up to her.

"We should get going. There's nothing left for us here"

Calli was holding a still face, lost in thought.

"Calli?"

She turned to look at her.

-"I want to stay here"

-"huh, Why?"

She turned back at the wasteland, specifically at the place she used to hide in every time she passed by when she was on her shift.

-"When I first saw this place, I thought I may never be able to be a part of it, but now I am alive, and I want to try it out... Or something like that"

Then she confidentially looked back at Kiara.

"That's why I want to stay here!"

Kiara frowned in confusion.

-"You do know there are more interesting places to go to right?"

Calli sat down on the ground.

-"Well, I can't bring myself to leave it like this"

Kiara thought about how she had run away from the destruction she had caused. Back then she wasn't able to look at it for long, she felt guilty knowing she had done such an awful thing, and yet she ran away. But now Calli had brought her back, and she couldn't allow herself to run away anymore.

She sat down next to her.

-"... In that case, we might as well rebuild it?"

She jokingly said.

Calli turned around so abruptly Kiara almost fell on her back.

She pointed at her with her mouth slightly open, as if she was about to say something.