Chapter II - It's Bridget, Not Margaret

The day finally came for the new engine's arrival. James and Edward were up bright and early for their double headed express train, so Thomas and Percy dozed in the crisp morning air until the firelighter arrived. "Thomas, I couldn't sleep last night! I was thinking all about the new engine. Oh, I hope we become fast friends!" Percy babbled. Thomas yawned as the firelight lit his firebox and he made a good bout of steam, "Percy, I'm sure you'll have no trouble making friends with the new engine. When you arrived, practically everyone you laid eyes on wanted to be your friend." the tank engine teased. "Everyone except the big engines." Percy smirked. "I'll never understand why their egos were so far up their tenders -" he was quickly interrupted by the arrival of Mr. Watson. "Good morning, Thomas and Percy," he said loudly "Good morning, sir." the two little engines replied. "I've just received word from up the line that the new engine will be arriving at Elsbridge before noontime." Thomas and Percy grinned at each other. "As I explained last night, I want you both to show her the ropes. Please be sure to make her feel comfortable and welcome." Mr. Watson finished. "Of course, sir." Thomas answered, and Mr. Watson drove away.

Thomas and Percy spent the rest of the morning shunting cars at Knapford, before they were sent to the branch line, where they would meet the new engine at Elsbridge station. "I hope the new engine doesn't have any trouble with the trucks.." Percy sighed as the last of the trucks were put in order. "I can't imagine that she wouldn't have trouble with those god forsaken boxes on wheels." Thomas grunted. He was getting quite tired of Percy's non stop chattering. However, Percy was soon bored and fell silent. At last, the two engines arrived at Elsbridge. A small shunter painted ochre was sitting on one of the sidings by the water column, talking to her crew. Mr. Watson soon arrived and began chatting with the engine and crew. Thomas and Percy waited respectfully for Mr. Watson to call them over.

"This," he began, "is Margaret." "Beg pardon, but it's Bridget, not Margaret." the engine said as a matter-of-factly. "My apologies, Bridget. Thomas and Percy here will show you the line." Mr. Watson blushed and finished his sentence. Once the group properly acquainted themselves, they went off to the yard. "We're glad you're here, Bridget! We've been working our buffers off making sure everything is running smoothly." Percy squeaked. "I'm glad I'm needed." Bridget chuckled, trying to keep up with the little green engine's words. This proved to be difficult, as Percy squawked the whole way to the yards. "Nevermind him, he's just excited." Thomas reassured Bridget. "I'm used to young engines, dear Thomas. But Percy here is..."

"...a different breed of young and energetic?" Thomas suggested with a chuckle.

"Exactly!" Bridget replied.

"Well, now. I suppose we should get to work, eh chaps?" Bridget wheeshed at the state Elsbridge Yard was in. Trucks and tankers lined every siding, and coaches complained of being in the hot August sun. Bridget put on a mature face and darted toward a line of empty trucks that were needed at Anopha Quarry. Percy knew that the quarry trucks would misbehave most of all, but was surprised when Bridget marshalled them into their proper spots without breaking a sweat!

"How...What??? Bridget, you must be-"

"I've had my fair share of troublesome freight cars on my old line. However, these trucks are worse than those!" Bridget smirked.

Percy was filled with admiration and immediately tried to shunt like Bridget. But try as he may, he couldn't shunt nearly as many cars as Bridget. Soon, the work was done, and all the trains were ordered in the sidings. "How did she do it?" Percy asked Thomas as he watched Bridget at the watertower. "Obviously, she has more experience than us. We could learn a thing or two from this engine," Thomas answered, "Not only that, but with her knowledge of trucks, we'll be able to have an easier time with all this extra work!"