Chapter V - A Child, Some News, An Attack

It was the eighth day in the month of April, just a few months after the Fat Controller had his wedding. Mr. Watson and his wife, Marion, had just settled down in the sitting room to listen to the radio. As Marion listened, Matthew read the paper. "Matt, darling, Winston Churchill has become the new PM." Marion summed up the news.

"I see, I see. Churchill's a very good man, that's for sure and certain." Mr. Watson replied, still looking at his paper.

"Churchill as Prime Minister?" James the Red Engine muttered in the yards later that day, "I doubt he'll put an end to this war."

Edward laughed half heartedly, "James, don't be rude. I think anyone that is willing to step up to the plate is quite responsible."

James was about to reply, but was interrupted by a commotion on the other side of the yard. Thomas had shunted a pair of old vans too hard, and their contents poured all over the rails. "Klutz." spat James.

The next week didn't improve for Thomas. On Monday, Thomas broke a side rod trying to brake on oily rails. Tuesday, he ran a signal at the branch line harbor and almost caused a collision with Percy, much to James' enjoyment. Wednesday, Thomas forgot to couple to his coaches, and was late. And by Thursday, poor Thomas was worn out and very sad. "You're not really useful anymore, Thomas. You're really unlucky." James teased him on Friday night.

The other engines glared at James, their expressions asking him to stop. "Everyone has bad days, Thomas. Things will turn around soon." Henry said, trying to comfort the tank engine. "But not everyone has bad weeks." James continued. A voice soon shut him up. Loud like a siren and sharp as a knife, Edward shouted,

"JAMES, I'VE HAD IT WITH YOUR BANTER!"

All the engines froze, watching as James turned white as a ghost. No one expected Edward to shout that way. "Look, I've been very patient with you. But you're doing nothing to help things, and you're making poor Thomas feel worse!!!"

"I-I-I," James muttered quietly, but Edward continued, "You act like you're some high end express engine who won't pull cars, or shunt in the yard. You think everyone looks at you, mouths wide open in awe at your splendid red paint. You never think about other people, just yourself. Put yourself on the other end of the coupling for once in your life!!!" he yelled angrily, his face red from breathlessness.

The other engines looked at Edward, then at James. The red engine seemed to have shrunk down to the size of a lump of coal, looking at his buffers in shame.

"Edward, you're quite right." The Fat Controller emerged from his car. He had seen everything. "Thomas has had a trying week. It doesn't help that you're throwing him down the way I've heard you have. This behavior is not allowed on my railway, and if it happens again," he ended ominously, "I will keep you at the back of the shed, and no one will ever get to see your shiny red paint you boast so much about ever again!" He scolded.

"Yes, sir." James said meekly.

For the next few months, James was put strictly on goods work, preparing his own trains and taking them where they were needed. He didn't speak to Thomas.

-

About a year after the incident between Thomas and James, the Fat Controller and his wife, Lady Amanda Hatt, were expecting their first child. Amanda was due to have her child at the end of November, and on 15th of that month, Amanda gave birth to a baby boy. "We'll call him Stephen Hatt II." The Fat Controller told his wife as they gazed at the newborn.

Stephen was a beautiful baby, and one December morning, his father took him to see the railway for the very first time. Stephen watched in admiration as trains arrived and departed, whistles blowing, steam hissing. "This," said The Fat Controller, "Is my railway. And someday, it might be yours. I hope you love these engines as much as I do." he gazed at Thomas and Percy, who were pulling coaches and mail, respectively.

-

Life was going well on The Island of Sodor... at least it seemed so. One cold rainy morning, the world became so bleak. On the other side of the world, Japanese forces made a surprise attack on the United States base at Pearl Harbor. Devastation brought men killed, ships bombed, burned, and sunk. Worst of all, the United States President was making a decision. "Mr. President, what do we do?" the Vice President asked. "We've stood neutral for far too long, and look what happened. Honorable soldiers: dead. We're going to war. There's no other way." The President said, gazing out of the window of the Oval Office.

And that was what happened. The President of the United States of America declared war on Japan.

-

Just after Christmas, The Fat Controller visited the engines. "The railways on the Mainland have gone ahead and painted their engines in a wartime livery." he began. Percy was puzzled.

"What's that?" He asked.

"This is a paint job that is going to protect you engines from being seen from above. It should keep you hidden, in a way, in case there is an attack from the air." The Fat Controller answered. "Throughout the week, I will send you all to the works to be repainted." He finished, and walked away.

By the end of the week, Percy had finally gotten repainted in a dark black, with the NWR symbol painted on his coal bunker. He met Bridget at Arlesburgh with a train of passengers, feeling upset. "Cheerio, Percy." Bridget smiled. She was painted as well. "Hi, Bridget." Percy sighed, staring at the Mid Sodor Line.

"You look sad. What's troubling you?" Bridget asked, trying to read the expression on the saddletanks face. "It's this war, Bea. What's going to happen if we get attacked?" Bridget frowned, speechless. After a moment, she spoke up, "I don't know, Percy. I don't really know. But keep your chin up. Everything will be okay." she comforted. Percy whistled sadly as he departed the station.

The engines were about to face the biggest challenges of their lives, and the war would not improve, but that's for next time.

-

E N D   O F   P A R T   O N E