Chapter III - Homecoming

Matthew Watson woke up one morning a few weeks after Bridget had arrived on the Island of Sodor. It had been a busy weekend with the summer season coming to a close, and Matthew had slept quite well the night before, and was very hesitant to wake up. His wife, Marion, had promised to make him a special breakfast of crumpets and iced buns to start his week off right, and his face lit up by the smell of pastries wafting from downstairs as he got himself ready for the day. "Good morning, darling." Marion smiled brightly at her husband. "Lovely morning, innit, my dear?" Matthew grinned back at her, gazing out the window at the morning sun. The sky was blue and there wasn't a cloud in sight. "Here's the post." Marion handed him the morning post, with a very astounding headline on the front page. At first, Matthew took a glance while he scanned for any interesting stories, but the words 'SODOR ENGINE EMERGES FROM CREWE ENGINE WORKS' nearly made him choke on his crumpet. "Bless, my soul," he murmured, looking up at his wife in admiration "Marion, my dear, Gordon's rebuild is nearing completion!" he explained enthusiastically. "How exciting!" Marion gasped, "I expect you'll have some arrangements to make today?" she pondered. "I expect so, dear." Matthew replied.

    "Well, I'd best be off, I wouldn't want to miss Edward's train." Matthew said to his wife as he collected his things for work. "Right, dear. Oh!" Marion paused, closing in on her husband. "You've got leftovers on your mouth." she chuckled, dabbing her hand across his face. Matthew smiled and gave her a kiss on the cheek. "Goodbye, Marion!" he saluted as he walked down the path towards the main road, which would take him to Wellsworth Station. As he walked, Marion watched lovingly at him as he made his way through town.

    Mr. Watson made it to the platform as Edward the Blue Engine was getting the coaches ready for his train. "Ah, good morning, sir!" said kind Edward as he backed down onto his train. "It is indeed. I've just heard that Gordon has come out of the workshops, fully rebuilt, according to a headline on the news." Mr. Watson told the old engine. "How delightful! Any information on when he'll be returning?" Edward asked curiously. "Not quite, but I'm sure I'll have plenty of news later on." the man said.

Watson boarded one of the coaches and Edward waited for the guard. At last, he blew his whistle. "Peep! Peep! Off we go! Off we go!" whistled Edward the Blue Engine as he snorted out of the station. "We're coming, we're coming! No hurry!" the coaches sang as Edward trundled along the line. They passed churches and houses, and the vicarage orchard. "Good morning, Vicar!" Edward called out to the vicar, who was helping Jem Cole collect fresh peaches from the field. "It's nearly market day, old boy!" Edward's driver explained. "Mm, I hope the wife purchases some corn stalks. I might make popcorn for the kids." the fireman added. "You and your corn, Sidney." the driver chuckled, as did Edward. "Market day always feels like a proper ending to the summer season." Edward admired. He often helped the vicar prepare his vegetables and fruits for market during the spring and summer. Children loved watching him go by, hooting and hollering with glee.

At long last, Edward steamed into Knapford, where Mr. Watson got out and walked to his office. "Thank you for a splendid ride, dear Edward." he thanked as he opened the door to the office. When he opened the door, he almost knocked a man wearing a bowler hat over. He then realized that multiple gentlemen were in his office, along with the stationmaster. "Lovely day, isn't it, gentlemen?" Mr. Watson conjured a polite grin. "Indeed, sir." the stationmaster replied. "These gentlemen have arrived from the Mainland to see you, sir." he added. Mr. Watson nodded as the stationmaster walked out the door. "Please, have a seat, gentlemen." Mr. Watson set his bag down and sat in his chair.

The three men turned out to be representatives of Crewe Workshops. They explained to Mr. Watson that Gordon's rebuild was a success and that he was due to return home on Saturday. "Saturday? But it's just now Monday! I must get preparations ready for his return!" Mr. Watson put his hand on his forehead. A half hour later, the men left. Mr. Watson reclined in his chair and shut his eyes, thinking hard about what was planned for the week in honor of Gordon's return. Just then, the telephone rang.