Chapter IV - Happy Ever After

It was the morning of September by 18th, and the island was unusually quiet. Nothing ran to schedule and no trains were ready. The engines sat in the sheds, wondering why the firelighter hadn't come to light their fireboxes.

"Where's the firelighter?" Percy complained. He was due to pull the quarryman's special from Ffarquhar a half hour before. "The Fat Controller has canceled the morning trains, Percy," answered his driver. "Charlie, turn on the radio." Edward told one of his crew. Charlie did so, and Edward listened closely. A reporter was explaining the breaking news. As he did so, Edwards face went from concerned to white.

"Her Majesty, The Queen, has asked for all citizens to tune into this important broadcast. This morning, we received word that Nazi Germany has invaded Poland from the east last night, September the seventeenth. The war is starting, and we will update you all shortly with more news."

These were the words that came from the reporter's mouth. "Edward, what does he mean by  'war'?" Percy asked. "I thought the war had ended years ago." But Edward didn't answer. He looked at Gordon and Henry sternly.

-

"It's happening again." Edward said to the two later that day in the yard. "Right," said Henry, "If the Nazis have invaded Poland, lord knows where they'll strike next." He finished as a small sweat broke on his face. "If anything, they'd swallow up the smaller countries, growing stronger until they reach whoever's left." Gordon added. Edward's face fell. "What will we do if they come to our island?" He asked.

Gordon closed his eyes, thinking, "We protect it. If those bastards think they can take over our island and the rest of Europe, we'll show them just what we engines can do. Hmph hmph." He said, slightly chuckling.

"And what about Thomas, James, and Percy?" Henry pondered, "We can't keep them in the dark about this. Besides, James is probably rounding up the other two and filling their smokeboxes with all sorts of ridiculous theories!".
"Henry, Thomas wouldn't believe so much as a peep from James, he knows what's going on, surely." Gordon argued.

"Gordon's right. If any of the three truly understood, it would be Thomas." Edward interrupted. Being sent to Sodor during the war, the LBSCR had written Thomas off as 'lost at sea' and went on to build a replacement of his class. Furthermore, the little engine had an early exposure to the war efforts, having shunted military goods and soldiers at the harbors of England.

The three railway engines decided that it was best to wait until more news arrived.

-

As expected, the war continued in the coming months, and just before Christmas, they received some rather pleasant news. One chilly morning, the engines listened to one of the drivers radios. A reporter revealed that the Mainland had won its first sea battle at the Battle of the River Plate. "Thank goodness. Lately, I've felt like every piece of news we get has been worse than the last." James sighed in relief. "My dear engine, that doesn't mean we should let our guards down." Gordon said wisely. Just then, the Fat Controller arrived."Good morning, Sir." smiled Edward, "You certainly have a spring in your step."

"Indeed! I have some wonderful news! My fiancée and I are getting married! The wedding is to be held at the chapel by the fishing village in February." said the Fat Controller ecstatically. The engines gave him their congratulations, and later in the week, an unfamiliar woman came to see Thomas. "Hello, little engine. You must be Thomas. I've heard all about you from my son." The woman said to him. "You have, ma'am?" Thomas was puzzled. "You see, young Thomas, your controller is my son. You may call me Dowager Hatt." She introduced herself. "Pleasure to make your acquaintance, ma'am. But why have you come to me?" Thomas asked curiously. The Dowager smiled kindly, "I have a favor to ask of you. Do you know what a good luck package is?"

"No, ma'am, I'm afraid I don't. What is it?" Thomas pondered.

"A good luck package," began the Dowager, "is something old, something new, something borrowed, and something blue. It is a token of good fortune for the newlywed couple as they journey through the next part of their lives." She finished. Thomas pondered this for a moment. Then, he asked, "Ma'am, may I be the 'something blue'?".

Dowager Hatt's face lit up with delight, "What a splendid idea, young Thomas! Now, you and I must keep our eyes peeled for the rest of our package!"

And so it was arranged for Thomas to take the Dowager on his locals for the day, a few weeks later. They stopped at Crovans Gate, where Rheneas and Skarloey were dozing in the sun. When he saw the Dowager, Rheneas' eyes widened. "Well hello, Dowager! Splendid to see you."

"Likewise, Rheneas. Thomas and I are on the hunt for the rest of Stephens good luck package, and we're wondering if you two might be able to help us." The Dowager explained. Rheneas thought hard. But it was Skarloey who spoke up, "You could choose one of us old-timers, but the workload is too much for one to handle alone. However, we do have an old portait of Manager and the Fat Controller, you're welcome to take that." He told them.

"Then we'd have something old and something borrowed!" Thomas cried. "Thank you both!" The Dowager smiled at the old little engines. The portrait was gently placed with Clarabel and the guard, and Thomas departed.

By the end of the day, Thomas and The Dowager had found everything, including a brand new set of buffers that needed to be sent to Arlesburgh Harbor for the Mid Sodor Railway. The Dowager thanked Thomas for a helpful day out, and the good luck package was stored safely in a shed by the big station.

-

On Valentines Day, The Fat Controller had his wedding, outside the church at the fishing village.  His wife, Amanda, was the daughter of a very well known quarry businessman from Ffarquhar. The service began as the priest said, "Good afternoon, ladies and gentlemen. Before we end our service, let's give a hearty thank you to Thomas the Tank Engine and his good luck package!" And there, appearing out of thin air, was Thomas, dressed in ribbons, streamers, and a fresh new coat of paint. Behind him were the portrait and the new buffers. Everyone cheered and clapped, and Sir Topham Hatt smiled a smile that Thomas had never seen before. He felt so pleased to have contributed to The Fat Controller's wedding, and whistled happily as the newlyweds and their party boarded Annie and Clarabel.