Gharam and Zaafira (12)

Zaydan instantly looked at Marie-Fey once the door closed. "What was that? I stay and you get a second chance?"

"You're coming with me," Marie-Fey said, spinning away and walking back outside.

"No, he's saying that if you fail to kill him, he gets to kill you, right? He doesn't have to touch you; he doesn't even have to see you to kill you. You cannot underestimate his power."

"He promised not to use such power. It's going to be a good old mortal murder."

"And you believe him!?"

"I'm choosing to."

"All I have to do is stay here and—"

"No, leaving you feels like leaving a weapon with him," Marie-Fey said, dropping into her seat. "A bargaining chip, an ace up his sleeve. I don't want him to hold any power over me. And if you're not here, he holds a tiny bit less power over you."

"He can still hurt me. It doesn't matter, I'd rather you had the extra chance," Zaydan said, quickly sitting down beside her. "Neither of us are safe just because we're back home. That palace is his domain to control as he wishes."

Marie-Fey fell quiet as she tilted her cooled tea from side to side in its delicate cup. She had no intention of Zaydan staying behind, that was certain. Whatever he said, she was not making that journey without someone she trusted at her side. And Zahir had thought nothing of stabbing Zaydan. It didn't matter that he hadn't been aiming for Zaydan. His only reaction had been annoyance at the inconvenience of not being able to stab Marie-Fey in the neck. That told her all she needed to know.

"How far does his power actually reach?" she asked, looking up.

Zaydan frowned. "How do you mean?"

"Could he have killed Maanah when we were back in my homeland if he had chosen. When that curse around your neck hurt you, was that him doing it, or was it the spell reacting?"

"Oh. If it's control over me, I don't think there's a limit to his reach. But the power over the girls, I think that's limited to his castle? It's never mattered since they're never supposed to leave it."

"Hmmm," Marie-Fey mused, setting her cheek on her palm and looking out past the balcony and the evening lights.

"What are you thinking?" Zaydan asked.

"Nothing of merit, for now," Marie-Fey replied, before standing up blowing out the balcony lamps.

~~~~

The following morning, Marie-Fey sat in the shade; one of her palace maids gently fanning her as they watched the last of her caravan being loaded up and checks being triple checked.

"I feel I should travel with you."

Marie-Fey glanced at Kilan as he dropped down beside her before returning her gaze to the caravan.

"You're leaving the capital in a few days and travelling to the coast, correct?"

"Yes."

"Don't worry about me, I'll be alright."

"I can't help worry about you. You're too calm," Kilan said, "I know you're under no illusion about what kind of war you've brought to the feet of a man with the powers of a god – you're too smart for that. And yet, you don't seem nearly concerned enough."

"I just don't feel it's yet my time to die," Marie-Fey said simply with a shrug.

"I'm not sure it's his yet either."

"Since I cannot just sit by and do nothing, continuing with this plan is all I can do."

"These women had better be grateful to you for going to such lengths when they have done nothing to deserve your loyalty," Kilan muttered in low annoyance.

"I am difficult, I am not cruel," Marie-Fey replied. "Their futures and lives are on the line. It is not about them owing me loyalty or deserving my efforts. I cannot just sit idly by when I know such a thing is happening to the women who are under my care – whether we like each other not. Besides, even if I didn't feel that way, I do care about some of those women. Some are friends, others are kind. What kind of person would I be to not stand up for them when I am able to?"

Kilan chuckled slightly, nodding as he looked up at the sky. It was darker that day, a haze that suggested the approaching of clouds. "Very well, I cannot argue against someone who is acting with such honourable motives."

"Also, I dislike my husband and wish to remove him from my life," Marie-Fey added and Kilan laughed.

"I'm sure your family will approve."

Zaydan walked over as Marie-Fey was nodded and gestured toward the caravan. "We're ready to leave whenever you are," he said, nodding to Kilan.

Marie-Fey nodded and she and Kilan rose.

"Well... I shall see you one day again, I'm sure," Kilan said.

"You will," Marie-Fey assured him. "We shall meet again in the future. Good luck with your travels."

"Good luck with yours," Kilan muttered softly before they bowed and curtsied goodbye to each other and Kilan watched as she glided away toward her carriage.

Zahir waited by the door and smiled at her as she approached.

"Well it has been brief but most insightful," he said, folding his arms.

"I insist you fix Zaydan's hand before we leave," Marie-Fey replied.

"No," he said.

"Humph," was her reply and she stuck her nose in the air and spun to the open door.

"Don't forget to send Zaafira to the capital once you return," Zahir said.

"Brother," Zaydan started, his voice thin and weak, strung with pain but Zahir held up a hand, cutting him off.

"I did not ask your input," he said simply.

Marie-Fey shot him a glare and he smiled at her.

"Send Gharam as well."

Marie-Fey stopped with one foot on the steps. She was frozen for a second, then stared at him.

"Excuse me?"

"Send Gharam," he patiently repeated.

"No," she said before she thought twice, then corrected. "She is one of my personal maids. I need her."

"She is your maid but my possession. I gave her to you as a maid but am now taking her away. You shall be supplied a new maid."

"I will not be spoken to as if I were a child having a toy taken from me and you will refer to my maid with human decency," Marie-Fey hissed and he just smiled.

"Very well," Zahir said, smiling, "I don't need to see her anyway for her to fulfil her purpose."

Marie-Fey stared at him for a moment, then narrowed her eyes. "Fine," she hissed, "I will send her with Zaafira. You will at least let me say goodbye."

Zahir's smile widened and he straightened. "Of course, that is understandable. I shall expect them to arrive in two weeks then. Zaydan, you will return within the month, yes?"

Zaydan made a slight choking sound then nodded. "Yes."

"Wonderful doing business with you then. Safe travels, my dear wife. You must visit again. I would love you to attend another meeting, you are most invigorating." He bowed deeply to her then spun and strode away.

Marie-Fey stared after him, then grabbed her skirts and stormed into her carriage, throwing herself into her seat, folding her arms and Zaydan climbed in and took his place.

"Hurry up!" she snarled as the doors were being closed and the servants around them scattered, shouts echoing up and down the line to depart. There was a jolt and the caravan began its slow progress back across the desert and Marie-Fey watched the city trundle by, glaring out at the colours as she tapped delicate fingers against her opposite arm, debating on how to proceed.